cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

License transfers for customers off maintenance

gchampoux
1-Newbie

License transfers for customers off maintenance

Because the ailing economy is hurting us, we are considering to not renew our Pro/E software maintenance.
However, at least a couple times a year, we need to transfer licenses to support off-network remote users and secure rooms.
Years ago, PTC would support such a transfer, usually at a cost around $600 each.
Do they still offer this?

Gerry Champoux Williams International
Lead Engineer 2280 E. West Maple Road
Information Technology Walled Lake, MI 48390
' (248) 960-2816 7 (248) 960-2607
* - * www.williams-int.com
4 REPLIES 4
lwh
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:gchampoux)

One simple workaround would be to transfer the licenses to USB network adapters while they are still under maintenance and use these as 'license servers'. (Don't lose them then...)

BTW: there are administrator tools around which allow to tweak a MAC address for exactly this purpose (to avoid lengthy license transfer processes if the central license server crashes)

Hello,

What specific administrative tools are available for changing the MAC address? I may need to replace my laptop next year, and I am currently off PTC maintenance (WF 3.0).

At least I have work in SW from clients that use SW. However, projects from potential clients that use Pro-E are less plentiful now. If that changes, I would consider renewing PTC maintenance for a good project opportunity that requires Pro-E, and would be both profitable and worth my time.

lwh
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:gchampoux)

Technitium or SMAC are examples, there are others. Just g..gle around. ('MAC address changer')

It is all down to tweaking the registry. Actually, I have never tried myself, but it is nothing secret or illegal.

Thanks to Chris and Nick that came up with the answer I was looking for:

PTC honors your license regardless of your maintenance status. You can transfer your license to a new machine online if you have the account still active - otherwise you just need to spend an hour making calls and waiting on hold to get a licensing agent on the phone. Gather as much info as you can before diving in - SCN, customer number, order number, email address of the account, etc... I have a license that has been off maint. for 5 years (WF2) and recently moved it to a new machine without issue.

Top Tags