cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Microsoft Surface Pro 3

TrainStopper
7-Bedrock

Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Anybody have some pointers to get Creo2 M120 running stabile on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3?
i7, 1.7 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-Bit Win 8.1 Pro, 256 GB SSD

Creo starts, can start sketch, but crashes when exiting sketcher or finishing the first feature.
Crash causes complete restart of tablet.

Tried with & without config.pro, not sure what to try next.

Just a bit of a pain because it locks a license most of the time when it crashes & I have to reset the license server.

Regards,
Walt Weiss

11 REPLIES 11

Walt,

I have never used one, so this is a total guess... but my first thought
is it probably has something to do with the internal graphics engine.
Honestly, I'm surprised you can even get Creo to launch.

Good Luck
Bernie

Bernie Gruman
Owner / Designer / Builder
www.GrumanCreations.com

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Walter Weiss <->
wrote:

> Anybody have some pointers to get Creo2 M120 running stabile on a
> Microsoft Surface Pro 3?
>
> i7, 1.7 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-Bit Win 8.1 Pro, 256 GB SSD
>
>
>
> Creo starts, can start sketch, but crashes when exiting sketcher or
> finishing the first feature.
>
> Crash causes complete restart of tablet.
>
>
>
> Tried with & without config.pro, not sure what to try next.
>
>
>
> Just a bit of a pain because it locks a license most of the time when it
> crashes & I have to reset the license server.
>
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Walt Weiss
>
>
>

Walt,

You inspired me to load Creo2 M060 on my Surface (one) Pro this morning. Without getting everything installed, as in not setting up Windchill Intralink or anything else, I ran it from the shortcut the installer placed on my desktop. It appears to run. I created a simple hammer (Thor) for my step-son that he had designed on graph paper.

Getting Windchill to run is another issue as believe I have to use Firefox & gots some research to do before I can start. But I think it should work. This little Surface of mine will be quite useful in stack-up, design review, marketing review meetings.

I actually had to put together some small assemblies when on vacation for our video guy & used remote desktop connection to do it on my desktop machine at work. It was painful but I got it done.

Sorry Walt, I do not know how to help your issue. However, after reading that linked article, tech support just might be able to help you. There is hope though as I got it running on my Surface. Further testing required. I will post results later. I really love my Surface!

Regards,

Joe S.

Be careful with OpenGL. There are different levels of OpenGL support. What they are talking about there is likely game-card level of support, but you need CAD level support. I think that for OpenGL 4 that begins at 4.2. At least that is where Wikipedia begins listing the Nvidia and Radeon cards as supporting the standard. I haven’t tried a game card for quite some time. Back in the day (late 90’s early 2000’s) they could actually be faster than the CAD cards but with limitations on how many windows could be open and they were always susceptible to crashes.

Rob Reifsnyder
Mechanical Design Engineer/ Producibility Engineer / Components Engineer / Pro/E SME / Pro/E Librarian
[LM_Logo_Tag_RGB_NoR_r06]

Here are some of the settings I sent Walt on Friday. He was going to get into it a bit more next week and let us know.

* enable_opengl_fbo no

· enable_opengl_vbo no

· enable_opengl_shader no

· graphics win32_gdi
It will be interesting to figure out what the proper settings are to drive the Intel graphics the best (by the way. As Walt indicated Open GL is supported on the card… how well is another story).

I currently own a Surface Pro 2 and love it. I have only ran the Creo View stuff so far and it’s been great. With Creo View 3.0 some/most of the touch controls drive the interface. It’s a blast.
Tim McLellan
Mobius Innovation and Development, Inc.

Hi Tim,

I know this an old thread but I would love to know what your recommendations are for working with CreoView on a MS Surface. I am a in the process of testing Creo View with Surface for markup / annotation creation, seeing some difficulty with making notes using the stylus. Did you observe any issues with the pen stylus for writing notes and if so were you able to move past them? Also, might you be able to provide your basic Surface specs for our comparison?

Thank you in advance,

Greg Montgomery

Isn’t the graphics setting deprecated or about to be? I think it’s a hidden option in CP2.0 already, no? OK, a quick search on the TS site shows that’s true:

[cid:image003.png@01CFC061.BB1A56E0]

So……with the proliferation of integrated machines, I wonder what PTC’s solution is going to be.

BK

Wow! PTC has always told me when I had a problem to confirm that it still existed with the graphics set the win32_gdi.

It was like their safe mode, if it was broke there it was truly broke, if not it was a graphics card issue.

David Haigh

I don’t think graphics win32_gdi was ever intended to be a setting that a user would use consistently. My impression is that it was there to determine if a problem as related to the graphics card or not. If it went away when set to win32_gdi, it was related to the graphics card, if not it wasn’t.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:TrainStopper)

I just verified on Creo 2 M120 that it is hidden as the document says it is. Hmmm….
I too have used it for troubleshooting.

Ok, got it running Creo2 M120 by setting graphics to win32_gdi.
Seems to be useable.

Kind of funny & sad at the same time, but at what point do you think PTC Marketing will realize Creo2 Parametric has since been reconfigured to no longer function without graphics set to win32_gdi on the state of the art Surface Pro 3?!:
Top Tags