cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

ProE WildFire 4 and VC++ 2010 express edtion-configuration

shreeshail_lokh
1-Newbie

ProE WildFire 4 and VC++ 2010 express edtion-configuration

Hello All,

I'm a newbie for proe customisation.I have been using "Proetoolkiy_GSG.pdf" file to run the "pt_install_test" application using Proe4 and VC++ 2010.I have followed all the steps given in the above mentioned pdf file.In VC++ 2010 I manged to configure my project platform to "x64" since I'm compling the files on 64-bit machine(Windows XP x64 OS).WhenI build the sample projectI can see all the".obj" files getting created,however my"pt_inst_test.dll" is not getting created instead I'm getting following errors.

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'bufferoverflowu.lib'

1>NMAKE : fatal error U1077: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\link.EXE" : return code '0x49d'

1> Stop.

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command "nmake /f make_install dll" exited with code 2.

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Please help me out of this situation.

Thanks in Advance

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11

Hi Shreeshail -

I have also tried in the past to build Wildfire 4 applications with VS
and I also was frustrated when trying to link my code in that IDE. In the
end, I learned to use VS 2005 with Wildfire 4.

Microsoft typically makes significant changes to its C++ libraries with
each
release of Visual Studio. I don't truly know whether you can build a WF4
application with VS 2010, but I found it to be a frustrating waste of my
time to attempt it.

If you are new to Pro/Toolkit and C++, I urge you to use the version of
Visual Studio that PTC specifies in the release notes. Good luck with
your programming.

|+| M a r k |+|

Mark Stallard
Rapid Response Development
information Solutions
Integrated Defense Systems
Raytheon Company

(business)
+1.978.436.6016
(cell)
+1.617.331.5443
(tie line)

-

880 Technology Drive
Billerica, MA 01821
www.raytheon.com

Raytheon Sustainability

This message contains information that may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive mail for the
addressee), you should not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or
any information contained in this message. If you have received this message
in error, please so advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete this
message. Thank you for your cooperation.

I vauguely recall that the express edition can only compile and link a multi-threaded exe (or dll).
Single-threaded is required.

This is one of the reasons that I abandoned Pro/Toolkit and moved to J-Link.

Gerry Champoux
Williams International
Walled Lake, MI

In Reply to Shreeshail Lokhande:

Hello All,

I'm a newbie for proe customisation.I have been using "Proetoolkiy_GSG.pdf" file to run the "pt_install_test" application using Proe4 and VC++ 2010.I have followed all the steps given in the above mentioned pdf file.In VC++ 2010 I manged to configure my project platform to "x64" since I'm compling the files on 64-bit machine(Windows XP x64 OS).WhenI build the sample projectI can see all the".obj" files getting created,however my"pt_inst_test.dll" is not getting created instead I'm getting following errors.

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'bufferoverflowu.lib'

1>NMAKE : fatal error U1077: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\link.EXE" : return code '0x49d'

1> Stop.

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command "nmake /f make_install dll" exited with code 2.

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Shreeshail,
Let me bring some information to the discussion before I answer your question. The MS Visual Studio IDE (Professional or Express) is just a GUI with additional tools to aid the developer in his work. It is shipped with specific versions of the compiler (cl.exe), linker (link.exe), headers (.h), and libraries (.lib) that it uses to compile and link your application. In other words, the IDE and compiling/linking tools are SEPARATE!

Now, the express versions of the IDE's are shipped with different compiler, linker, headers, and libraries than the professional versions. Therefore (in my experience which sounds like it's not the same as Gerry's experience) you CANNOT EVER compile and link a Pro/TOOLKIT application with the express versions of the IDE's as they are shipped and delivered.

Why is that?

When you download the compatibility matrix for Pro/TOOLKIT you will see that WF 4.0 is compatible with MS Visual Studio 2005 Professional. What PTC is actually stating is that WF 4.0 is compatible with the compiler, linker, headers, and libraries that shipped with MS Visual Studio 2005, not the IDE itself. This is a good thing.

So do you have to spend the $$$ to purchase the professional version of MS Visual Studio 2005? NO! You can use the Express version.

Wait a minute...I just told you that you CANNOT EVER compile and link a Pro/TOOLKIT application with the express version. That's correct. However; there is something called the Windows SDK (formerly known as Platform SDK) which contains the compiler, linker, headers, and libraries that PTC certifies! Hooray!

By downloading and installing the correct SDK for WF 4.0 you can "point" MS Visual Studio Express at the SDK which will force it to use the SDK compiler, linker, headers, and libraries when compiling and linking your Pro/TOOLKIT application and voila! You now have a FREE environment for building Pro/TOOLKIT applications. This can be done for ALL versions of Wildfire. You just have to make sure your IDE is pointing to the correct SDK paths. That's the trick!

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | o: 616.698.3766 | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image003.jpg@01CCF600.D7047C10]

Patrick,

Thanks for the extra info. I had forgotten about the SDK until you mentioned it.
I now recall something else:
If you intend to compile for 64-bit PC's, you will also need the SDK for Windows 2003 R2 or possibly Windows 2008.
Thiese too are free from Microsoft.

Gerry

In Reply to Patrick Williams:

Shreeshail,
Let me bring some information to the discussion before I answer your question. The MS Visual Studio IDE (Professional or Express) is just a GUI with additional tools to aid the developer in his work. It is shipped with specific versions of the compiler (cl.exe), linker (link.exe), headers (.h), and libraries (.lib) that it uses to compile and link your application. In other words, the IDE and compiling/linking tools are SEPARATE!

Now, the express versions of the IDE's are shipped with different compiler, linker, headers, and libraries than the professional versions. Therefore (in my experience which sounds like it's not the same as Gerry's experience) you CANNOT EVER compile and link a Pro/TOOLKIT application with the express versions of the IDE's as they are shipped and delivered.

Why is that?

When you download the compatibility matrix for Pro/TOOLKIT you will see that WF 4.0 is compatible with MS Visual Studio 2005 Professional. What PTC is actually stating is that WF 4.0 is compatible with the compiler, linker, headers, and libraries that shipped with MS Visual Studio 2005, not the IDE itself. This is a good thing.

So do you have to spend the $$$ to purchase the professional version of MS Visual Studio 2005? NO! You can use the Express version.

Wait a minute...I just told you that you CANNOT EVER compile and link a Pro/TOOLKIT application with the express version. That's correct. However; there is something called the Windows SDK (formerly known as Platform SDK) which contains the compiler, linker, headers, and libraries that PTC certifies! Hooray!

By downloading and installing the correct SDK for WF 4.0 you can "point" MS Visual Studio Express at the SDK which will force it to use the SDK compiler, linker, headers, and libraries when compiling and linking your Pro/TOOLKIT application and voila! You now have a FREE environment for building Pro/TOOLKIT applications. This can be done for ALL versions of Wildfire. You just have to make sure your IDE is pointing to the correct SDK paths. That's the trick!

Hi Shreeshail,

As mentioned by Mark I normally prefer specific VC++ version for the
Windfire versions as stated in ProE documentation.
Also as Patrick mentioned you can very well compile using the VS Express
edition and the SDKs.

What I wanted to point out was specific to your linking error.
I encountered this same error when building Catia customization project
with VS2010.
I just removed this lib from the "Additional libraries" and my addin linked
without errors.

Not sure if it will work for WF4.

Regards,

Vinay

On 28 February 2012 19:09, Shreeshail Lokhande <
Shreeshail_Lokhande@whirlpool.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm a newbie for proe customisation.I have been using
> "Proetoolkiy_GSG.pdf" file to run the "pt_install_test" application using
> Proe4 and VC++ 2010.I have followed all the steps given in the above
> mentioned pdf file.In VC++ 2010 I manged to configure my project platform
> to "x64" since I'm compling the files on 64-bit machine(Windows XP x64
> OS).When I build the sample project I can see all the ".obj" files getting
> created,however my "pt_inst_test.dll" is not getting created instead I'm
> getting following errors.
>
> 1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'bufferoverflowu.lib'
>
> 1>NMAKE : fatal error U1077: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio 10.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\link.EXE" : return code '0x49d'
>
> 1> Stop.
>
> 1>C:\Program Files
> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error
> MSB3073: The command "nmake /f make_install dll" exited with code 2.
>
> ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
>
> Please help me out of this situation.
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
>
>
>
>

Patrick,

Patrick,

Patrick,

Thanks a lot for the reply.As told by you and Mark I happened to do following things :

1)First I installed VC++2005 Express Edition

1.1)My machine configuration is
64 bit machine
OS-Windows XPx64

1.2)Myproe(Wildfire 4)-along with toolkit installation is 64 bit.

2)It basically means I'm using VC++2005 express editionand try to compile 64 bit application

3)so I'm getting the following error

4)To tackle the above error I installed Windows 7.1 platform SDK

5)Now I go to configuration manager of VC++ 2005
and try to create new platform.But unfortunately I don't see 'x64' platform in the list.
(Note :I did samething but with VC++2010 and I can see 'x64' platform in the list but I get error which i told in my 1st post)

6)Here are the few excerpt from your reply
"By downloading and installing the correct SDK for WF 4.0 you can "point" MS Visual Studio Express at the SDK which will force it to use the SDK compiler, linker, headers, and libraries when compiling and linking your Pro/TOOLKIT application and voila! You now have a FREE environment for building Pro/TOOLKIT applications. This can be done for ALL versions of Wildfire. You just have to make sure your IDE is pointing to the correct SDK paths."

7)I guess my problem has something to do with the pointing VC++2005 to SDK,but I dont know how to do that....it would be great help for me if you can give me some meticulous steps of doing it....

Thanks in advance

P.S :My previous two replies with "Patrick," text only were sent by mistake ,please consider my sincere apologies for the same.

Shreeshail,
I just noticed that you are working at Whirlpool. Are you at the Benton Harbor location? I used to live in that area... First of all you downloaded the incorrect SDK version to be compatible with the Wildfire 4.0 Pro/TOOLKIT. The correct SDK I believe is the Windows Server 2003 SDK R2. That SDK contains the same compiler, linker, headers and libraries (x32 and x64) that shipped with VS 2005.

Product name

Codename

Internal
version

Supported .NET
Framework versions

Release date

Visual Studio

N/A

N/A

Spring 1995

Visual Studio 97

Boston

N/A

Visual Studio 6.0

Aspen

N/A

1998-06

Visual Studio .NET (2002)

Rainier

2002-02-13

Visual Studio .NET 2003

Everett

2003-04-24

Visual Studio 2005

Whidbey

2.0, 3.0

2005-11-07

Visual Studio 2008

Orcas

2.0, 3.0, 3.5

2007-11-19

Visual Studio 2010

Dev10/Rosario

2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0

2010-04-12

Version

Windows SDK Version Number

Build Number

Release Date

Download

Notes

Microsoft Platform SDK July 2002

?

?

2002-07

?

Microsoft Platform SDK August 2002

?

?

2002-08

?

Microsoft Platform SDK October 2002

?

?

2002-10

?

Microsoft Platform SDK February 2003 Edition

?

2003-02

?

Last version with VC6 support[5]<">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_SDK#cite_note-4>

Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows XP SP2

?

2004-08

?

Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK

?

2005-05-02

Download<">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D8EECD75-1FC4-49E5-BC66-9DA2B03D9B92&displaylang=en>

Windows Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK

?

2006-03-14

Download<">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=484269E2-3B89-47E3-8EB7-1F2BE6D7123A&displaylang=en>

.NET Framework 2.0 SDK (Included in VS2005 Pro)

?

2006-11-29

Download<">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=fe6f2099-b7b4-4f47-a244-c96d69c35dec&displaylang=en>

Does not include the Platform SDK

Windows Vista Update & .NET 3.0 SDK

v6.0

2007-03-22

Download<">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4377f86d-c913-4b5c-b87e-ef72e5b4e065&displaylang=en>

First unified .Net and Platform SDK. Does not support Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

Included in Visual Studio 2008[6]<">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_SDK#cite_note-5>

v6.0a

2007-11-19

N/A

Windows Server 2008 & .NET 3.5 SDK

v6.1

2008-02-05

Download<">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=F26B1AA4-741A-433A-9BE5-FA919850BDBF&displaylang=en>

.NET Framework 3.5

Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1

v7.0

2009-07-24

Download<">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=71deb800-c591-4f97-a900-bea146e4fae1>

Included in Visual Studio 2010

v7.0a

2010-04-12

Download

Download<">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=6b6c21d2-2006-4afa-9702-529fa782d63b>

Now, once you have the correct SDK installed you must start an environment. Do this through the SDK startup options (command prompts). Once you have the command window environment open you have to execute the following call to make VS "point" to the SDK.

<path to=" vs=">\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe /useenv

For more information on the process you should read the "Next Steps Guide" created by the PTC/User Customization TC several years ago. There is a chapter in that document that clearly outlines these steps for WF 4.0. Here is the link to the document and sample code.

Patrick,

Thanks a lot for your reply.Yes I work in Whirlpool Corporation but in India...:) .I happened to follow each and every step you told in your previous reply.In SDK's start up command prompt I tried to execute devenv.exe,but since this file doesn't exist in the VC installation I got "devenv.exe file is not recognized as internal or external command" .I'm hanged up here. I tried to setup development environment on 32 bit machine and I was able to do it sucessfully, but 64 bit machine is really giving me trouble.If you know any work around for the above problem with respect to 64 bit machine please let me know. IfI buy Visual Studio 2005 ,will it promise me with sucessful environment setup for 64 bit machine ??

Purchasing the Professional version of MSVC 2005 will make 64-bit compilations easier but you will still have to follow the PTC makefile examples to make sure you have the proper libraries and preprocessor definitions setup.

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | o: 616.698.3766 | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image001.jpg@01CCFC5E.DC7740B0]
Top Tags