cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

ProE on a MAC

pauldelong
1-Newbie

ProE on a MAC

I've got someone who swears ProE will run ona Mac... can anyone absolutely confirm or deny his claim?

Paul

27 REPLIES 27

On Mac OS? No. On a Mac that runs Windows? Probably. I think it has
been tried, but I don't know how well it worked. The key would be
Windows drivers for the Mac hardware, specifically the graphics card.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Windows runs very well on a Mac (MacBook Pro in my case) - Apple supplies all of the needed drivers. I have never tried to run ProE, but I have run many other programs without any issued. The installation of Windows went very smoothly, with no problems. You do have to purchase a copy on Windows, of course.

Craig A. Puetz
Systems Engineer
Drivetrain Engineering
John Deere Product Engineering Center
PO Box 8000, Waterloo, IA, US 50701
Office: 001 319 292 8132
CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to Deere & Company, or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

I have heard SolidWorks is working on a Mac Native version but only talk...which I doubt. I suspect ProE **would** work on a Mac...albeit on the Windows side. A 24" iMac or a Mac Tower with a Mac 30" screen would be FANTASTIC!! I have not made the leap yet but on the next upgrade cycle I am going to dump ALL my PC's and go Mac ONLY!

Great Thread, Great Question, I would sure like to hear from somebody that has already made the leap though, regardless I am going to move that direction. My experiences with the iPhone and now the iPad have me convinced that Mac is the way to go. The fit and finish is simply astounding.

Jim

I replied personally, but I'll add this to the group.

I do the same thing but on a 24" Intel iMac. In order to get into
windows, you reboot and they have a boot loader so you can pick Mac or
windows. I actually uses our VPN and windows remote desktop and run Pro
that way. You can run windows virtualized, but you take a performance
hit. I use virtual box so I can start up windows while in OSX, then I
can do anything I can in windows. For some reason, middle mouse doesn't
map right, so If I'm using Pro, I'll reboot and start in Windows. It's
really the best of both worlds for me. (Mac user at home for 15+ years,
apple II user before that)

PTC did make Pro/Concept for the Mac:

Just Monday, the guy I sit next to loaded pro/e (wf3) onto the windows
partition of his mac to take on a trip to visit a customer. I can get the
particulars from him when he returns to the office tomorrow.

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
178 Muddy Creek Church Rd
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<">mailto:-> -
<">http://www.mgsincorporated.com>

What Mac are you using and I am confused by your terms.....the term BOOT implies you have to restart the machine.... switching OS is just a keyboard command and it switches instantly...you can flip back and forth at will and even drag files from one desktop to the other. Windows virtualized.....that makes it sound like it isn't running native and ever since Macs went intel on the inside they run Windows native......

At this point I am not sure why anybody would buy an OS LIMITED machine. The Macs at this point run ANYTHING!

Jim

There are two ways to run windows on an intel Mac. One is to install
"bootcamp" which is an apple download that installs a boot loader and
all the drivers for windows. You then install windows on a partition.
In order to run windows natively, you need to reboot the machine, hold
the option key (similar to Alt on a windows machine), then choose the OS
you want to boot into. From there Mac OS or Windows will load - one or
the other. You can set up in the preferences which you want it to boot
into automatically.

The second option (and you can do both) is to install a virtualization
software. This will allow you to install windows inside that virtual
machine, and run windows while inside OSX. You could do this prior to
intel chips, it was just really slow. It isn't bad right now. No games
or Pro though, the graphics isn't there. When you boot into windows
directly, it's OK.

I have the previous gen 24" intel core duo imac (white, not the brushed
metal one).

I have to ask the question. If a Mac has an Intel processor, and is running
MS windows on a partition, how is it still a Mac? Isn't it a Frankentosh at
that point?

Ron

As the Mac OS is basically BSD Unix getting Pro to run natively on a Mac shouldn't be too hard. Apple is supposed to have NX running on Macs. This was a custom port just for Apple and not available to the public.

David W. Lawrence
Mechanical Engineer
Sigma Space Inc.
sigmaspace.com

I think there are two main reasons: and a few other but for me the two main reasons are:

1. The hardware is Top Shelf...as close to art as you can be but always with function in mind. After a few seconds you realize all your other computers feel like cheap plastic junk, after a few months you wonder why you wasted all the time in Windows. Sure Windows works, we have all learned how to get around but after a few month of transition the Mac OSX is a breath of fresh air.
2. At first I spent 80-90% of my time on the Windows side and only drifted over to the Mac Side 10-20% of the time mostly to see what it was like. After two months I am on the Mac side 90% of the time and only drift over to the Windows side when I have to. Currently I run both systems but my ProE station is dedicated ONLY to ProE.

*** The quickest and cheapest get a taste of OSX is to get an iPhone or an iPad. IU know a lot of people that own Macs but don't really use them, they have a hard time letting go of their PC ways. Apple is doing a lot right, they aren't perfect but they are darn close. Giving a ProE presentation or going over drawings or models (darn I wish I could spin them) on an iPad is a GIANT leap forward.

Jim

on another note .....PC vs Mac regarding the state of affairs in general.

As of TODAY....Apple now has a Market Value HIGHER than Microsoft. Apple also has *over* $40 Billion in *cash* just sitting waiting to do, who knows what with....

Apple is now the second most valuable company in America...Exxon is the only one ahead of them...

Jim

Hi Paul,
There are several hits when searching www.proesite.com for "mac". All of
these were running windows on a Mac.

Regards, Brent Drysdale
Senior Mechanical Designer
Tait Radio Communications
New Zealand
DDI +64 3 358 1093
www.taitradio.com

Absolutely, it works. I have the windows student edition of WF4 running on
my 13" MacBookPro.

You do have to install Windows under Apple's bootcamp. Boot into Vista and
install Pro/E. Apple makes it easy with all the drivers needed. (Win7 can be
installed instead of Vista <">http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986> See this
link for info about setting up a Mac to run Windows)

The MBP runs Vista better than most PC laptops do.

You will need a 3 button mouse. The trackpad just doesn't provide suitable
alternatives to the lack of the extra buttons.

You should also be able to use something like Parallels if you want to run
Pro/E without having to boot into Windows. I'd suggest more ram should you
go this route.

I've got someone who swears ProE will run on a Mac... can anyone absolutely
> confirm or deny his claim?
>
> Paul
>
>

I have WF3 + inlink 3.4 installed on a small windows 7 partition on my
macbook pro.
Installed win 7 through bootcamp and everything works great.

I hope there will be a native version one day, but I don't get my hopes
up...

Kind regards,

Frederic
---
Frederic Vanneste
Development Engineer Mechanics
CAD Administrator
Security & Monitoring division
BARCO N.V.
Pres. Kennedypark 35
B-8500 Kortrijk

Facts:
1) Autodesk announced Autocad beta for MAC, (code name Sledgehammer)
2) Unigraphics NX 6.0 is already available for Mac, search for videos in
youtube.com
3) Alias Studio (from Autodesk), Maya, and other Autodesk products are
already available for Mac
4) Apple passed Microsoft in values (Wall Street)
-nk/.

"Apple passed Microsoft in values (Wall Street)"

Maybe PTC has put the saddle on the wrong horse?

The fact remains that, despite the fact that Apple is now the largest tech
company by market cap, they still only own 10% of the desktop & laptop
market. It's hard for PTC to justify expending that much effort for such a
small market.

That said, I'd love to see some integration of the glide pad gestures that
Mac OS X includes used for Pro/E - two fingers to pan, three to spin,
something like that.

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
178 Muddy Creek Church Rd
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<">mailto:-> -
<">http://www.mgsincorporated.com>

No, it just means that owning all of the hardware rights ‘may’ make you some money if you have a visionary like Jobs at the helm.

Apple offers a complete ‘ecosystem’ that Microsoft does not, with hardware, OS, and applications software from ONE vendor, and no other. As others have said, Apple only owns about 10% of the computing market.

By having a higher market cap (valuation) than Microsoft, just shows that items like the iPad make money…

BTW, just because PTC ports its product(s) to a Mac, I don’t see them taking any advantage of the advanced features of the Mac interface, including the mouse features. Don’t fall for the ‘Grass is always greener…’ wishful thinking about PC vs. Mac.

I am not a PC or Mac fanboy. I use what works and I have considered a Mac in the past. With Windows 7 beating out the Mac on many fronts by many independent sites, I look at Windows in a new way.

The one thing I can't stand about a Mac is the closed nature of their business. I go to Best Buy and find hundreds of different applications for a PC and only a small shelf for the Mac.

I like choice and the Mac is very restrictive in that area.

One last thing that I must say about the Mac. It's a PC.

PC means Personal Computer and the last time I checked the Mac is a Personal Computer just like Windows. Steve Jobs sold everyone on the idea that the Mac is something different and it's not. You are getting a Personal Computer that is well built and has a great OS. The only difference is that loose the convenience of having choice of what to run on them.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

The key component here is that Apple focuses on consumer products almost exclusively -- not business or engineering products. The only business products they seem to target are for graphic designers, where they have been propped up for years while open market PCs beat the snot out of them in all other areas. iPads are cool as can be, but all that cool interface and design technology does me zero good when I'm trying to design things.

I wonder what Apple designers use for all their mechanical and electrical design & analysis work? It would be interesting to hear.

Best Regards,

Now that Macs are Intel on the inside they run both Windows and Apple software there is no difference. You can shift between operating systems with single hit of the keyboard. The biggest difference I have found is the fit and finish of the Apple hardware is much nicer than anything I found in the PC world, not to mention the shelf life and resale value.

I am not sure why anyone would buy an OS limited machine at this point.

Jim

We use Etch A Sketch by Ohio Art. One of the best screen refreshers I ever used!

Ima MacUser

Designer

I have a MACBOOK PRO andIt runsPRO|E WF5.0 like a charm, the issue is really the graphic card, once the assembly is getting bigger it will loosing performance, but I don't work with big assemblies too much so it fits to me.

One observation is that when running windows virtualized with Parallels PRO|E doesn't work because of the flexnet service that doesn't start, maybe there is a trick for that but since I don't like the idea of running CAD/CAE/CAM software in virtualized environments I surpassed my curiosity and gave up on that, still working with PRO|E just in bootcamp.

PS: If you run Windows with Parallels (readingWindows from bootcamp)and choose to change the theme of windows to appear like a MAC, once you boot it in bootcamp laterit still with that theme, is not heavy and better than the Windows XP PRO grey or blue uglythemes.Here is a picture of it:http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/30801.htm

Warm Regardsfrom Brazil!

Guilherme Rocha - Tech Support Consultant

PLM Solutions do Brasil

“A goal without a plan is just a wish.”

> I am not sure why anyone would buy an OS limited machine at this
> point.
> Jim

Thats just a stupid statement. Linux anyone? Windows 98? XP, Vista, 7, x32, x64

Hi,

Apple also rules the audio recording world. At my home studio,my iMac runs the audio program Logic smoother than smooth. Just for fun, I tried to get my audio interfaces installed on Win XP... a complete disaster. Professional audiorecording is very demanding on the OS (you need a latency of less than 5 ms), and you just don't want Windowsin your studio for that reason. Unless you buy a PC that's more expensive than a Mac, and don't install a virus scanner, and find an interface with a driver that actually works... I rest my case.

As far as I know, theengineers at Apple use UG NX natively on Mac OS X. I even heard the rumor that Steve Jobs organized the NX port to Mac?!

Regards,

Jaap

In Reply to Eric Hill:

The key component here is that Apple focuses on consumer products almost exclusively -- not business or engineering products. The only business products they seem to target are for graphic designers, where they have been propped up for years while open market PCs beat the snot out of them in all other areas. iPads are cool as can be, but all that cool interface and design technology does me zero good when I'm trying to design things.

I wonder what Apple designers use for all their mechanical and electrical design & analysis work? It would be interesting to hear.

Best Regards,
Top Tags