cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Questions about .prt files.

ptc-5248112
1-Newbie

Questions about .prt files.

I am curious. Why is it that when you save with creo, it saves it as .prt.1, and .prt.2 if there's already one of that type? Wouldn't it be easier to prompt for overwrite like every other program than to associate every number .prt.1, .prt.2, .prt.3, etc. to creo in windows? And with the same Idea, why is it that before I associate .prt.x with creo, windows shows me a preview of the object as the object's icon, but when I associate it with creo, it just show's a program-style icon? and is there any way to get that back without un-associating creo with that filetype? And can I prevent the .prt.x? Can I have creo automatically associate all .prt.x files up to a certain number with creo in windows? I'm using Win8, if that's relevant.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

The "versions" is a means to have backup files. If something gets corrupt, or you change your mind about the direction your going, you can recover a previous version. Its been part of Pro|E since a long time ago.

Windooze... doesn't like these type of extensions. I don't know how you can wholesale tie the lot to Creo... I suspect you can't. Besides, Creo likes to have a specific start up folder so you can open the right configuration file when Creo starts. Have you tried "drag and drop"? Works for me!

Oh, and there are two ways to avoid the "duplication":

1. configure the system to recognize the purge command in the DOS shell (YES, DOS!)

2. backup the file in a separate folder and all will begin with .1 again.

Antonius Dirriwachter wrote:

Windooze... doesn't like these type of extensions. I don't know how you can wholesale tie the lot to Creo... I suspect you can't.

Well, it's doable, but not very straightforward. As I explained here: Re: Creo Won't Open Files from directory you can use command line to batch assign specific program to open specific file extension. In theory (because that's the part I've never done myself) you should be able to write a loop in batch file/command line to assing specific ftype to every file extension from .1 to .999 (that's the max Windows can handle, AFAIK).

It is easy to delete old version of creo files. There is different ways you can do it:

- From Creo on current file

http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/creo_hc/creo20_hc/index.jspx?

- Use purge from commandline on all files in a folder. You can use this for scripting.

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS34721

- Use a purge tool that will add a menu RMB in windows explorer

There are tools you can download for free.

ex:

http://www.proesite.com/

- Utlities

- Creo Purge

Top Tags