cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Select model for rename in session

dguidry
5-Regular Member

Select model for rename in session

In Creo 2 Parametric, we could select a model when renaming in session (with an assembly active).  It was convenient for the case where you want to replace a component model in an assembly with a "save-as" new model (a common task for us). 

In Creo 3, we are not getting the ability to select the model to rename in the first dialogue box.  Anyone else miss this?  Is it a config setting or something else specific to our installation or Creo 3?  I know more than one of us miss how it worked in Creo 2.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:dguidry)

If try to rename the assy, but don't enter a new name, in the next dialog box you can rename any or all of the components.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
dguidry
5-Regular Member
(To:dgschaefer)

Yes, which is great if you are renaming multiple components.  This was available in Creo 2 when you renamed the active model.  However, In Creo 2, we could select the model from the tree and rename it on the spot.  It is really just a small convenience, but renaming a single component is the more common use of rename in-session for us.  If PTC removed it, I guess I would like to know why?  If they didn't and it's just our installation/config, I would like to fix it.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

I don't think the old way works anymore, you need to do it as I described above.  Why? I dunno.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Darren Guidry wrote:

snip...  However, In Creo 2, we could select the model from the tree and rename it on the spot.  ...snip

Are you sure you could do this in Creo 2.0?  Right click on a part of an assembly does not give a rename option nor can I edit the tree entry.

dguidry
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

No, it wasn't on the RMB menu.  You would rename in session.  In Creo 2, the dialogue box gave you the option to enter the name of the model to rename (it could be anything you have in session).  There was a button the right you could select and get the option to select the model.  If you hit select, you could then select any part or assembly in either the model tree or the graphics window.  We would then enter the new name and our save-as and replace in current assembly was done.  PTC took away the ability to enter what to rename and the button to select what to rename in Creo 3.  That is my issue.  Again, not a show-stopper, just an annoyance for the extra clicks.

Consider submitting a support case.  I see what you are saying where they changed the dialog box for the "rename" function.

PTC will have to explain to you exactly what they were thinking in this change because it should have a replacement method.

Let us know what you find out.

Yet another reason to not use Creo 3.0.

dguidry
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I am actually enjoying Creo 3 so far, but it's only been a week in normal use.  I have a call in with PTC, but the community can usually help me find out if it is a install / config thing more quickly than Tech Support can, so I often pose the question and open the call.

Thanks for your attention and response. 

Not a problem.  I just tried a rename dialog.  You can leave the same name for the assembly and edit the parts and subassembly names in the dialog and it saves the assembly and renames the parts (depending on your setting... in session or on disk).

I suspect they did this to simplify things but forgot to tell anyone.  The help, as always, if of little help.

I started using Creo 3.0 (still M010) because it was touted to help with SolidWorks collaboration.

Turns out Creo 2.0 is a lot more SW collaboration friendly than Creo 3.0.

And of course, the new detailing protocols... (where is that little puke icon?)

Jose_Costa
6-Contributor

The best solution I found for this was a mapkey that opens the selected component and opens the rename dialog box.

If nothing is selected, then renames the active component.

mapkey $F3 @MAPKEY_NAMERename part;@MAPKEY_LABELRename_part;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Command `ProCmdOpenModel@PopupMenuTree` ;~ Command `ProCmdModelRename`;

Just a workaround.

Jose

Hi Jose,

This is balaji,

I want to rename the partfile(current active) after part update using VB.NET, I am working with Skelton / Assembly / Drawing files ( with some standard template format name). Once all updation / modify / other process over.

I want to rename the part / assembly / drawing files to corresponding flow name.

I have searched in vbug.pdf help file and I tried with below coding and it show error.

Dim mdl as IpfcModel

mdl = Session.CurrentModel

mdl.rename("TSekl.prt","Orgskel.prt")

Please help me how to do and where i done mistake in my part.

Regards,

Balaji.S

Top Tags