cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Update ProE parameters using Excel

PhilipRoy
1-Newbie

Update ProE parameters using Excel

Hello all; I have the need to change a large amount of part's parameters and I'm wondering if this is possible using Excel. If I run a BOM from a top assembly level, and then drop it into excel manually, is there any way that I can change some settings in excel, and put that back into ProE so that it updates all the parts? For example, say I have an assembly with 100 parts, and I give half of them a code "P" in parameters for material, and the other half a code "M". Now say I want to change it so that 25% have code "P" and 75% have code "M". Is there any way to do this all at once instead of opening every single part, changing parameter manually, and then saving each part individually? I currently do not use any type of management system such as intralink. Please let me know! Thanks! Phil
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Just going through the forums I have tried this procedure: " Click tools - program.. - Edit design then you'll find this: INPUT END INPUT Now, between the imput lines is where you tell the program which parameters values will come from an outside reference, in your case an excel file (by the way same as mine, I've been working this way almost three years ago, and there is a huge potential in this tool, only is a bit awkwward to master) Parameters need to be declared in a specific way, for example HOLE_DIAMETER NUMBER PATTERN YES_NO BOLT_NAME STRING Those for the 3 kind of parameters Pro/e recognizes Then you close the program, say yes, you want to include changes, and then you tell the program where you want to read the info from. Now the thing is that pro/program only reads .txt files. This file needs a specific structure, the first colom is the parameter name, the second colom is an = ,and the thrid colom is the param value. As soon as the program finds a blank row in the file it stops reading it. So you have to manage the excel file to have this format, and then save that sheet in a txt file. Then when pro/e asks you the file from where it should read th data, you write down te .txt filename complete, including the .txt (this is viable with a fine excel macro) It will only read it from the working directory, nor anywhere else, so make sure you create or copy the txt file into that directory. " Unfortunately when I put in a parameter string such as "Code" and the value as "LP" in the text file as the procedure above describes, I get a blank in the value once I regenerate and hit Tools -> Parameters... Suggestions?

Ok so here's my third post on this; I've figured out my previous two problems by searching through the forums. My new problem is that now that I've figured out how to get parameters into ProE by using Excel, I'm wondering if there is some way to loop a mapkey or something like that so I dont have to manually regenerate a large top assembly which uses Pro/program to insert parameters for every single part. Thanks!

Simplified Logic Inc specializes in bi-directional Excel to Creo or Creo to Excel data transfer this with applications called Nitro-CELL and Nitro-BOM.  Please see this Website: Simplified Logic, Inc. and YouTube Channel:  Simplified Logic, Inc. - YouTube

Top Tags