cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Win7 ProE crashes on register after setting cache loc

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Win7 ProE crashes on register after setting cache loc

I'm having another Windows 7 issue.

I have an existing startup script for testing new maintenance builds of ProE. Because I don't want to stomp all over my Production cache, I redirect the cache to another folder. All of this worked on XP. Now on Window 7, ProE crashes when I try to register the server.

My startup script looks like this:
set PTC_WF_ROOT="%USERPROFILE%\pro\WF4_test\PDMLink_Cache\PTC\ProENGINEER"
"P:\wf4-m200-64\proeWildfire 4.0\bin\proe.exe"

The windows short cut has the start in dir set to %USERPROFILE%\pro\WF4_test

After crashing, something is still active, because I can't delete the star in directory because Windows says "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again."

If I log out and log back in I can delete the folder. Not sure what process was left hanging by the crash because xtop is not running.

Stumped.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
DaveHeipel
6-Contributor
(To:davehaigh)

I moved the cache pointer to the .psf file a couple of years ago and had no trouble with the move to Win7. The entry would be:

ENV=PTC_WF_ROOT=%USERPROFILE%\pro\WF4_test\PDMLink_Cache\PTC\ProENGINEER

You should not need the quotes. I don't allow spaces in any of my path names to begin with, so I avoid that issue.

The running process is nmsd. Kill that and you should be able to delete the folders.

In Reply to David Haigh:

I'm having another Windows 7 issue.

I have an existing startup script for testing new maintenance builds of ProE. Because I don't want to stomp all over my Production cache, I redirect the cache to another folder. All of this worked on XP. Now on Window 7, ProE crashes when I try to register the server.

My startup script looks like this:
set PTC_WF_ROOT="%USERPROFILE%\pro\WF4_test\PDMLink_Cache\PTC\ProENGINEER"
"P:\wf4-m200-64\proeWildfire 4.0\bin\proe.exe"

The windows short cut has the start in dir set to %USERPROFILE%\pro\WF4_test

After crashing, something is still active, because I can't delete the star in directory because Windows says "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again."

If I log out and log back in I can delete the folder. Not sure what process was left hanging by the crash because xtop is not running.

Stumped.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

David H. Heipel, CAD Systems Administrator

ASRC AEROSPACE CORPORATION
21000 Brookpark Road
MS-ASRC
Cleveland, OH 44135

PTC just confirmed my problem. The issue is the variable in the path.

SET PTC_WF_ROOT="%USERPROFILE%\wf4cache" <-- doesn't work on Win7
SET PTC_WF_ROOT="C:\Users\haigh1\wf4cache" <-- A static path does work on Win7

It's crasheing because for some as yet unknown reason ProE can't create the folder C:\Users\haigh1\wf4cache when you use the variable.

The thing is it works flawlessly on XP. This may be a Windows 7 specific SPR.

Any insight into this issue would be appreciated.

David Haigh

David,

You might want try setting your variable to a different folder name than 'users.' That's a default Win 7 folder and it might be messing things up. We used 'ptc_users' in lieu of 'users'.

Hope it helps,

Bob Lohbauer
PDM/ PLM Business Administrator
Jacobs Vehicle Systems
22 East Dudley Town Rd.
Bloomfield, CT 06002

This works:
SET PTC_WF_ROOT=%USERPROFILE%\wf4cache

This doesn't work:
SET PTC_WF_ROOT="%USERPROFILE%\wf4cache"

David Haigh
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:davehaigh)

If I remember correctly on Vista and Win7, the c:\users folder is a linked folder, it is actually just like XP c:\documents and settings \users.
We also create a top level c:\ptc_users folder on all of our machines, XP and Win7.

Win7 does have some things that need to be adjusted for. I have an install script that sets up the folders for Pro/E and it had to be rewritten for Win7, so I now have one script for XP and one for win7.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Top Tags