cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

customization.ui

ptc-4855806
1-Newbie

customization.ui

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm new andhaven't see it. We're trying to setup Creo 2 and I was wanted info on thecreo_parametric_customization.ui file. I'm setting things up and having to redo it in every mode Part, Asm, Drawing, etc. Is there a better way? Where is the normal storage location for this file? example Config files arein the text dir. Is this .ui file a replacement for config.win?

Secondly does anyone have a large colormap file? I have one with 200 colors on it at my last job but forgot to copy it.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

I’ve opened a call with PTC regarding a minor issue I have with the model tree width not opening to the saved width, and the tech pointed me to the ui file. Here’s part of the message where he shows me where they can reside:

My suggestion in this would be to keep a copy of the latest Config.pro and creo_parametric_customization.ui files in the following locations.

1. Start in directory: Check this location through #Right Click on Creo Parametric icon>#Start in

2. My Documents

3. <load point=">/text: <load point=">\Common Files\<date code=">\text

4. <drive letter=">:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Settings

Check out the last one, as it still has the Wildfire name and not Creo…

I hope this helps.

Dave Clark
Sr. CAD Application Engineer
Dukane Corporation
Intelligent Assembly Solutions Division
2900 Dukane Drive
St. Charles, IL 60174
630-797-4922 (Phone)
630-797-4949 (Fax)

[cid:image001.png@01CDD886.0506A030][cid:image003.png@01CDD886.0506A030]<http: twitter.com=" dukaneias=">[cid:image004.png@01CDD886.0506A030]<http: www.youtube.com=" user=" dukaneultrasonics=">">http://usblog.dukane.com[cid:image002.png@01CDD886.0506A030]<http: www.facebook.com=" pages=" dukane-intelligent-assembly-solutions=" 3139592...
[cid:image005.jpg@01CDD886.0506A030]

Oh, and if I can add this annoyance regarding the ribbon interface:

I have spent a lot of time customizing how my ribbon looks when I’m modeling a part, and putting together an assembly. However, if I activate a part while in assembly mode, the ribbon looks like the default modeling ribbon, not the one I customized, or if I activate a subassembly, the ribbon changes to the standard assembly ribbon. Are you kidding me? I put everything I could have ever needed in the ribbon and strategically put them in places that made them easily accessible, and they can’t use the same interface for an activated part vs. an opened part?

Sorry for ranting…

-Dave

In short, yes you will need to customize each different interface (.prt, .asm, .drw).

The master storage location for this file is in the /text folder, the same location the master config.pro and config.sup reside. You can also place your personal .ui file in your start in folder, making it overwrite whatever is in the /text location .ui.

Yes, this .ui file is the replacement for config.win.

I've attached an appearance.dmt file with a few hundred colors in it, mostly created from the list of html colors.

In Reply to Rob Cook:

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm new andhaven't see it. We're trying to setup Creo 2 and I was wanted info on thecreo_parametric_customization.ui file. I'm setting things up and having to redo it in every mode Part, Asm, Drawing, etc. Is there a better way? Where is the normal storage location for this file? example Config files arein the text dir. Is this .ui file a replacement for config.win?

Secondly does anyone have a large colormap file? I have one with 200 colors on it at my last job but forgot to copy it.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Actually, I don’t think the info on storage locations below is correct. The only place Creo will automatically load a *.ui file is the ‘cache’ - #4 on Dave’s list from earlier:

1. Start in directory: Check this location through #Right Click on Creo Parametric icon>#Start in

2. My Documents

4. <drive letter=">:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Settings

That’s also the place they go, automatically, when saved. If you set a config option you can change that to use the working directory (#1 above), but then I don’t think it will load from #4. You can also use an environment variable to change the location of the cache to whatever you choose.

Standard config files (config.pro, config.sup) load from #3 first, the user’s ‘home’ directory (as defined by Window’s environment variable) & #4, in that order. I don’t think anything will load automatically from #2, unless it’s defined as the ‘home’ directory. That’s been the standard for many years, and I don’t think it has changed with Creo.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

#3 is the location to place a master .ui file, and it does read from that location. At least that is what is working for us right now. Though I forgot to mention for this location I've changed the name to creo_parametric_admin_customization.ui (instead of the standard creo_parametric_customization.ui). I haven't tested if that name change is critical to getting it to load from the /text folder or not.

In Reply to Doug Schaefer:

Actually, I don’t think the info on storage locations below is correct. The only place Creo will automatically load a *.ui file is the ‘cache’ - #4 on Dave’s list from earlier:

2. My Documents

That’s also the place they go, automatically, when saved. If you set a config option you can change that to use the working directory (#1 above), but then I don’t think it will load from #4. You can also use an environment variable to change the location of the cache to whatever you choose.

Standard config files (config.pro, config.sup) load from #3 first, the user’s ‘home’ directory (as defined by Window’s environment variable) & #4, in that order. I don’t think anything will load automatically from #2, unless it’s defined as the ‘home’ directory. That’s been the standard for many years, and I don’t think it has changed with Creo.

--

Dave, thanks for reminding me about this problem. I’ll be starting development of our ribbon in the next week or so.
Your post reminded me that Bjarne listed 29 modes back in September. See attached email.

This morning an idea of how to deal with this occurred to me.

1. Startup Creo without any .ui files (remove them from all the locations where they lurk.)

2. Customize the ribbon for one mode. For example Design Part mode and save a .ui file. Rename that to design_part.ui

3. Do the same for each major mode. Sheetmetal, Design Assembly, Drawing, etc. Now you have a bunch of .ui files for specific modes.

4. Now create your final ribbon by loading those .ui files as you access each of the modes in Creo.

I know, I know, a major pain in the neck. But what are you going to do?

David Haigh

I had forgotten that you can but an admin file there. I do believe the
name is important.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
bfrandsen
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-4855806)

Remember Creo 2.0 will only read UI setup from the Start in directory if the config option load_ui_customization_run_dir is set to yes. It defaults to no.

/Bjarne

Thanks for all the feedback I'm trying to go thru it now.

Top Tags