cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

how to check for tipping?

AntoniodeItaVen
4-Participant

how to check for tipping?

hello there,

I wonder if anyone has ever checkout for tipping or roll over using Simulate. for instance, lets say you have a cilindrical tank that has a 2 feet diameter base, 3 feet tall then it expands to 4 feet in diameter adding another 2 feet.

do you know how you can check for tipping? based on the center of gravity?

I appreciate any help on this

Regards

Antonio

4 REPLIES 4

You wouldn't do this in Simulate. Assuming only gravity, tip over occurs if the C.G. goes past the point/edge that the object is rotation about.

Well according with theory, tipping will not occur if the righting moment is greater than the overturning moment.

so the part/unit should withstand 30 degrees tilting in any direction without tipping.

all that can be calculated by hand, it is simple formulas

now, in a 3D model, if I set the part or unit tilted 30 degrees it will not tell me if it tips, I think, I have not try it yet but I am assuming it,

it may have to be as dynamic analysis, that is why I was wondering if someone has already tried it.

thanks for the reply

Tipping is dependent on whether there is enough energy put into the system to be stored by CG rise or center of buoyancy movement, or both. If that storage is exceeded the item will tip. Since it is rare to be able to control the amount of energy available it is better to take measures to prevent tipping in the first place or to withstand tipping if it does occur.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager
(To:dschenken)

@AntoniodeItaVen   just checking in.  Did @dschenken   answer your question?  If so, can you mark this as an Accepted Solution? 

Top Tags