cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

multiple search_path_file statements->results

llam
2-Guest

multiple search_path_file statements->results

If,
I have a config.pro in the text directory of Pro with a searh_path_file statement to e.g. search_path_file_A
and
I have a config.pro in the working directory of Pro with a searh_path_file statement to e.g. search_path_file_B

What would be the result ?
-only paths from file B (based on the read order of the config files)
-paths from A plus the difference between A and B

I think I'm seeing the paths from A plus the difference between A and B, but somehow I expected to see only paths from file B

WF4 M180

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:llam)

I use this trick a lot. I've got my "standard" search path file (search.pro) that I load up whenever I start Creo. It has all the paths to the things I need for almost every job, like standard hardware, etc.

For specific projects, I have a second config.pro/search.pro set of files at the top level of the directories that contain the project files. Once I've started up Creo and made my working directory the one I want to work in, I import that second configuration file and it calls up the local search path file. This appends the new directories called for in the search file to the ones I've already loaded.

If it's of interest, I've also made myself a little DOS batch file that builds both the config file (I call it locconfg.pro) and search path file (locsrch.pro) by traversing the directory structure starting from wherever it is called. It's included below.

I did all this stuff because I've been working on a lot of large assemblies and wanted to organize things into nice small sub-assemblies or other groups of part files. Otherwise I was having to sift through hundreds of files to find a part file if I'd forgotten what it was called, etc.

If you're trying to remove your search paths and then load different ones, I don't know how to do that. I don't know of any way to get rid of the current search path list.

dgallup
4-Participant

Search paths are cumulative. You can keep adding and adding search paths, I don't know of any way to remove a search path other than shutting down and restarting Pro/E.

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

I've been told that attaching a ".bat" file is not a good idea, since e-mail servers block things like that, so here's a thinly disguised (renamed) copy of the same file.

Top Tags