cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

503 Service Unavailable error

k_ibrahem
6-Contributor

503 Service Unavailable error

I have been trying to install Thingworx platform 8.3, and when I followed the steps in the guide, I got a 503 Service Unavailable error. Apache tomcat is running.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:slangley)

Hi @gstreit  and @k_ibrahem.

Just an update from the case.....

It was found that the o/s did not conform to the requirement for the trial version.  It also appeared that full rights had not been granted to the user account running the installer, and possibly other hardening had occurred that prevented the installer from completing.

Since entitlements to the product were already owned, ThingWorx was manually installed to get around the issues with the trial installer.

For the benefit of others on the community, it would be helpful if you could mark this as the Accepted Solution.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:k_ibrahem)

Hi @k_ibrahem.

Please provide the following:

• ThingWorx logs located at \ThingworxStorage\logs
  • Tomcat logs located at <tomcat_home>\logs
  • platform-settings.json located at \ThingworxPlatform

We'll take a look and see if we can determine the cause of the issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

gstreit
4-Participant

Hey Sharon,

@k_ibrahem and I are both troubleshooting this issue on our end, so I can provide you with the files you requested. I've attached them below.

Thanks!

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:gstreit)

@gstreit wrote:

Hey Sharon,

@k_ibrahem and I are both troubleshooting this issue on our end, so I can provide you with the files you requested. I've attached them below.

Thanks!

Hi @gstreit and @k_ibrahem.

Attached is an updated platform-settings.json file.  There were some brackets in the wrong place.

Also, the ApplicationLog.log shows that the password for the model provider is incorrect.  This information is also configured in the platform-settings.json file:

"PersistenceProviderPackageConfigs": {
"PostgresPersistenceProviderPackage": {
"ConnectionInformation": {
"jdbcUrl": "jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/thingworx",
"password": "encrypt.db.password",
"username": "twadmin"

The password may not have been encrypted properly.  Replace the platform-settings.json file in \ThingworxPlatform with the one provided here (unzip it first).  Then change encrypt.db.password back to the actual twadmin password and restart Tomcat.  Once you work through all the kinks to get ThingWorx running, you can then work on the encryption.

After making the changes above, if you still have issues, please provide a new set of logs and the updated platform-settings.json for our review.

Regards.

--Sharon

gstreit
4-Participant

Hey Sharon,

Apologies for the delay. I was out all last week. I implmented the changes
that you pointed out but am still unabale to get it working. I've attached
my new log files.

Best,
Gabe
slangley
23-Emerald II

No apologies on the delay.  I was out last week as well so just catching up.

However, I'm not seeing the attachment containing the logs that you mentioned.  Once you provide them, I'll take another look to try to determine what may be wrong.

Regards.

--Sharon

gstreit
4-Participant

Find the logs attached. Thanks!

slangley
23-Emerald II

Notice this error in ApplicationLog.log:

2019-06-11 11:36:49.510-0400 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxBootstrapper] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] [message: Improper value found for model provider configuration password, system cannot start without valid password]

Please provide the following file for further review of the issue:

• platform-settings.json located at \ThingworxPlatform

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Are you still having issues or were you able to correct the password to resolve the problem?  If you have solved the issue, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution or post an update with the solution and mark that as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others on the community.

Regards.

--Sharon

gstreit
4-Participant

Hey Sharon,

The issue has not been resolved yet. When running the installation tool, the installation goes smoothly until the "Waiting for the ThingWorx Platform" step. Here I encounter this error:

Problem running postinstall step. Installation may not complete correctly

Error running .\checkhttp-response --username "Administrator" --password ***** -hostname "localhost" --hostport "8080" --useSSL=0;1

When I click OK, the tool moves onto the "Removing Thingworx Foundation Tomcat Service" step where I get the following error:

Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly

Error occurred while running postinstall Validation scripts

I am then notified that the installation has failed and given the following error:

There has been an error.

Error occured while running postInstall Validation scripts

The application will exit now.

Since we last spoke, I've removed the installation files and re-downloaded them, but I am still getting the same issue as before. Unfortunately I am unable to locate the logs. Is this enough info for you to dicern what the problem could be?

Best,

Gabe

slangley
23-Emerald II

Unfortunately, multiple attempts at running the Foundation installer can prevent further attempts from proceeding.  I'm a little confused though since I thought you were installing 8.3 but the Foundation installers weren't released until 8.4.  Are you possibly installing a trial version?

I checked and see that you have support.  I would be happy to open a case on your behalf to walk through the installation procedures, if you so desire.

Regards.

--Sharon

gstreit
4-Participant

Sure that would be great. Thanks! I'm sorry, I wasn't clear (or possibly initially mistaken). We are attempting to install ThingWorx H2 Trial 8.4.0.SNAPSHOT for windows. Is that the information you were needing?

Best,

Gabe

slangley
23-Emerald II

Just an update from the case.....

It was found that the o/s did not conform to the requirement for the trial version.  It also appeared that full rights had not been granted to the user account running the installer, and possibly other hardening had occurred that prevented the installer from completing.

Since entitlements to the product were already owned, ThingWorx was manually installed to get around the issues with the trial installer.

For the benefit of others on the community, it would be helpful if you could mark this as the Accepted Solution.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags