cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Call ThingWorx Service from 2 different buttons and identify the clicked event inside service

Harini_Satish
4-Participant

Call ThingWorx Service from 2 different buttons and identify the clicked event inside service

Hi All,

I have a service that will give the infotable output, This service will be called on 2 different button clicks like save and cancel,

Since we can bind single infotable to the grid in mashup it should be from a single service.

I want to know if there is any way to identify clicked event of a button on click 

for example : if I click cancel, I should get an input as cancel and similarly on save

I had used Trigger service widget previously for such scenario, but unable to find that widget now.

If anyone knows about this widget could you please tell me where is it available to download ?

Thanks in Advance 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

The only thing I could come up with would be to use expressions in order to give your button presses a value.

Something like this:

jensc_0-1674052850352.png

And then you bind your button clicked event to this expression and then the output of the expression to your service.

This way each time you press the button you will get your value into your service.

And I do think you could use the "changed" event on the expression to trigger your service:

jensc_1-1674052946179.png

However I have not tested this to make sure it will always trigger, as in this case the value of the expression might never change.

So you'd have to test this to make sure it works as expected.

Regards,

Jens

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello,

The only thing I could come up with would be to use expressions in order to give your button presses a value.

Something like this:

jensc_0-1674052850352.png

And then you bind your button clicked event to this expression and then the output of the expression to your service.

This way each time you press the button you will get your value into your service.

And I do think you could use the "changed" event on the expression to trigger your service:

jensc_1-1674052946179.png

However I have not tested this to make sure it will always trigger, as in this case the value of the expression might never change.

So you'd have to test this to make sure it works as expected.

Regards,

Jens

Harini_Satish
4-Participant
(To:jensc)

Hi Jens,

I am doing it a same way now, but the issue is it not evaluating the expressing always on click.

Not sure why

I am calling an expression for each buttons and setting one hidden checkbox to true and passing this value to one more expression and identifying the clicked event.

please see the images below for reference 

Hello,

I think you are on the right track, and it would probably be possible to do it with checkboxes.

The difficult thing would be to reset the checkboxes after the button has been pressed, unless you use the "ServiceInvokeCompleted" event.

Here is a better eplanation of how I did it;

I have two buttons;

jensc_0-1674111577650.png

I will only explain one of them as it the second button use the exact same bindings;

The button click event gets fired and evaluates the expression.

jensc_1-1674111589653.png

The expression just outputs the name of the button:

jensc_4-1674113112379.png

That value then goes into an event router:

jensc_3-1674111693210.png

Which in turn (for testing purposes) goes into another expression.

jensc_5-1674113423342.png

The expression just logs the value that we input into it.

jensc_6-1674113472488.png

When pressing the buttons I get this log:

jensc_7-1674113528259.png

So as you can see, it gives me different values depending on what I press.

I am not sure if this is the best way to do this. So if anyone else has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them as well.

Regards,

Jens

nmutter
14-Alexandrite
(To:jensc)

Intresting problem. I have 2 ideas:

1. is also using Expressions and then an EventRouter to route the "Save"/"Cancel" parameter to the TWX service and also executes it

nmutter_0-1674147391006.png

nmutter_1-1674147397971.png

This will call the service "asd" with parameter "Save" or "Cancel" depending on the button pressed.

2. Not tried: You may add the service you want to call twice to the mashup, with hardcoded parameter value.

nmutter_3-1674147881008.png

One service you call on Click of  "save", the other on "cancel". To bind the "latest" response of the last service call you also use a "EventRouter" widget which you bind both results (of both services) as input and output the Grid

nmutter_2-1674147657601.png

But this may be the 'easiest' if it works fine with the infotables.

Announcements

Top Tags