cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to differentiate between Pad and PC ?

seanccc
17-Peridot

How to differentiate between Pad and PC ?

Hi ,

How to differentiate between Pad and PC  in thingworx ?  I set the Home Mashup and Mobile Mashup separately, but it always display the Home Mashup instead of the Mobile Mashup when I use Pad to login , whatever using iPad or android Pad .    

Why do I need to differentiate between Pad and PC ?  Because of  the bug https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/Critical-Issue-Collection-widget-CANNOT-scroll-in-Android-Pad/m-p/628184#M39411  ,  I have to create Static mashup for Android Pad and another mashup for PC. 

version--

Thingworx  8.4.2

Android Pad / iPad / Chrome / Safari /Firefox. 

Regards,

Sean

7 REPLIES 7
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:seanccc)

If it is not detecting and redirecting properly, then I would log it as a bug in support.ptc.com

seanccc
17-Peridot
(To:PaiChung)

@PaiChung ,

yes, it's not detected properly. please help to open a ticket .  Thanks 

Regards,

Sean

vangne
16-Pearl
(To:seanccc)

@seanccc  I just created a support case on your behalf and will contact you via separate email regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Vibhuti

vangne
16-Pearl
(To:vangne)

@seanccc  We have a bug open for this issue for R&D investigation. I have provided the details related to this same to you via the support case email.

Thanks,

Vibhuti

Hi Sean, 

The Home Mashup will open in Computer and Pad, and the Mobile Mashup will open in Smartphones after using FormLogin.  I think it dependents on Screen Resolution or other stuff.

The real different for Pad and computer, is that when you're creating a static Mashup, you can choose to use different screen size to fit in your devices used in production.   When a full sized mashup designed in Computer displayed in a Pad, the widgets will shrink and some scroll-bars will show up, to fit the demands, a Pad size mashup should be used.

vangne
16-Pearl
(To:zyuan1)

@seanccc  Just an update- Along with the JIRA opened for further R&D investigation, we have also documented this scenario in this article

Thanks,

Vibhuti

My 2 cents on this issue: it seems you're using for access either the /Thingworx endpoint that makes use of ThingWorx's automatic device detection.
Until that gets fixed, I suggest to use a direct Mashup link for the user as the main entry point. IE: for iPad users: https://thingworxurl/Thingworx/Mashups/PadMashup and for Desktop users: the same, but pointing to the DesktopMashup.
Generally I'm using this approach for any Mashups, since I want to have full control on what the users will see. Another reason is that I've seen in some cases the browser user agent header is modified by the user, and it threw off the auto-detection.

Hope it helps

Top Tags