cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Java version issue installing Thingworx Foundation on Windows

rcorak
4-Participant

Java version issue installing Thingworx Foundation on Windows

I downloaded the 8.3 version and tried to install by running: twxFoundationH2Trial-8.3.2-windows-installer.exe

I immediately get an error telling me to install the proper version of Java.  I looked up in the system reqs which states you need to have Java 1.8.0_92-b14 64 bit.  i have Java 1.8.0_181-b13 and need this version for other installed software.

Can I do an install with the 181 version installed?

Thanks,

-Rob

17 REPLIES 17
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:rcorak)

In most cases, it is the stated version OR HIGHER.

Try it and see.

The place we get in trouble with Java is one program wants 1.6 or 1.7 and Windchill wants 1.8.

rcorak
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

That is what I was hoping but I can't do the install.  It fails right after the PTC logo saying to install required version.

(see attached screen shot)

When I run my Java config... About I get:

(see attached screen shot)

There is no way to get past the error to do the install.

posipova
20-Turquoise

@bgnesda is this something your team could assist with?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @rcorak.

Did you validate that you installed 64-bit java?

Regards.

--Sharon

rcorak
4-Participant
(To:slangley)

It is definitely a 64 bit version of Java.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @rcorak.

Can you go to the command prompt and run the following command to confirm?

C:\>java -version {enter}
java version "1.8.0_161"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.161-b12, mixed mode)

Also, do you have multiple versions of java installed?  You may need to check your path to ensure the installer is using the correct one:

C:\>path {enter}

Regards.

--Sharon

rcorak
4-Participant

C:\Users\rcorak>java -version
java version "1.8.0_181"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode, sharing)

Sorry about that!

I just looked and my 64 bit Java in C;\Program Files is no longer there.  I am wondering if my company did an auto update and removed my 64 bit Java install.  It has happened before.  Let me reinstall the 64 Bit version of Java then I will let you know.

rcorak
4-Participant

My apologies...

As you suggested, the 64 bit version of Java was missing.  I know it was there because I allso do development in Java on this machine and it is 64 bit Java.  Not sure what happened.

However, now the install is aslking for a KeyStore file and password.  Is there a document on how to do the local install?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @rcorak.

Apologies for the delay.  We are trying to track down a resource that can provide further guidance around the trial versions.

In the meantime, you may want to try entering an appropriate name for the keystore with password to see if you can get beyond this step.

Regards.

--Sharon

tmousaw
5-Regular Member

Have you tried following the installation guide from support.ptc.com?  It should describe how to create the keystore.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:tmousaw)

Hi @rcorak.

R&D advised that if you have attempted a previous install, subsequent installations will fail.  It must be installed on an operating system where no previous attempts have been made.

At this point, you will need to switch to another machine or reinstall your o/s to get around the issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

rcorak
4-Participant

Has anyone there looked at what is causing the failure?  I assume it is because there are either files handing around that the install script is seeing or there are registry settings that are still set that need to be removed.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @rcorak.

Yes, we are aware but are unable to provide specifics without compromising security.

Regards.

--Sharon

rcorak
4-Participant

Can I assume that if I clean out the registry I could reinstall or is there a key you insert for security that is "hidden" that you can't tell me about.

rcorak
4-Participant

I cleaned out the registry and was able to start the installation again.

I am using the install guide that was referenced above (thanks  tmousaw).  It says to "obtain the Thingworx.war".  When I click the link to PTC Software Downloads, I am told "Access Denied.  Insufficient Privileges".  I am running the install from the twxFoundationH2Trial-8.3.2-windows-installer.exe i downloaded previously.  Is there another way to access the war file?

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @rcorak.

The .war file is included in the trial version. 

Unfortunately there are hooks that you will not be able to remove from the previous installation attempts without reinstalling your o/s, so you will continue to run into these issues.

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @rcorak.

If one of the previous responses has answered your question, please mark it as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others who may have the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags