cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Best practices when printing a ThingMark for dark device surfaces

rsurujbhan
2-Guest

Best practices when printing a ThingMark for dark device surfaces

Hi All – when printing and cutting out a ThingMark symbol for use on a physical device for an AR experience, where the backing of the device that the ThingMark will be affixed onto is very dark or black, is it advised to leave a very thin white border around the ThingMark hexagon to help with scan recognition with the ThingWorx View app?  Or is this generally not required?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
ankigupta
5-Regular Member
(To:rsurujbhan)

Robert Surujbhan​ Interesting!

As per my understanding; the color of original thingmark is actually somewhat green. So, black color would not have any effect.

If you are taking a black and white print; you can leave a white border for easy recognition.

Hi Ankit Gupta!  It is true that standard ThingMarks have some green elements in them, but as you know the six sides of the polygon is also fully surrounded by a fairly thick black border, all around the symbol.  So my concern was this black border (around the mark) being "lost" when placed onto a dark surface when the View app does its scanning and AR model download.

I have actually seem some issues here, and it seems to get better if you allocate a thin white border around the cutout, hence my question for best practices when printing the ThingMarks for live usage.

shumphrey
6-Contributor
(To:rsurujbhan)

Actually I modified the thingmark and made it red and black.  There is a document that specifies the configuration necessary for the thingmark to be read.  It can actually be all black and white.  Color has no effect on it being read.  What does have an effect is the background where the thinkmark is located.  It helps to have a not solid background. The busier the background the easier it will be for it to scan.

Hi SANDRA HUMPHREY - the document you mentioned that has recommended ThingMark print specs - are you referring to the Getting Started with ThingWorx Studio guide?

Top Tags