cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Can we use QR code / Bar code instead of PTC thingmark ?

ppandarkar-2
15-Moonstone

Can we use QR code / Bar code instead of PTC thingmark ?

Hi,

We want to use our own QR code instead of PTC thingmarks so is it possible?

if possible then please share the  procedure.

Regards,

Prashant 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thingmarks provide accurate and stable tracking
QR codes do not.

You might be lucky that one QR works in certain conditions, but change the code and it may stop working.
We do NOT recommend users use QR codes as image targets.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @ppandarkar-2 ,

it is very simple.

If you have an project which was published you can share it.  Example>:

2019-10-11_14-01-49.gif

So you can make a picture of this QR code and you can scan it later when you want read the proejct in Vuforia View. So on this way you can achieve to retrieve the correct project.

Now you need to get the correct postion of the project . You can achieve this by using he same picutre (of the shared project QR code) in a image target:

2019-10-11_14-10-54.gif

I hope this will make it clear, if not , then , please , let me know!

thinkmarks provide identification AND tracking.

barcodes and QR codes do provide tracking. Do not use them to replace thingmarks if you need tracking.

in particular, do not do as the instructions above suggest and use QR code as an image target.  This does not work.

Yes I full agree that  such approach as described in my previous answer  is not a good idea to be used as general solution way as mention by @SteveGhee  because on this way  we  will not use the stable tracking mechanism of the thingmark.

It was only a pragmatic attempt to  answer the quesiton based on my experience.

...but I am not convince that the the statement is  true  that the QR code does not work as Image Target. I tested it and it was working fine on android. Yes the QR code as picture has no so much contrast and  may be will lead to difuctulties for the setting of the significant picture points for picture detection...  but on my  current test  it was working  so far and it did  not make an difference if I used another picture with more contrast:

2019-10-15_17-42-27.gif

This above is an example for calling a project with QR  as image target on Samsung Galaxy S9+ 

Thingmarks provide accurate and stable tracking
QR codes do not.

You might be lucky that one QR works in certain conditions, but change the code and it may stop working.
We do NOT recommend users use QR codes as image targets.

Top Tags