cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Chrome - "not enough memory" - Studio crashes

Wes_Tomer
12-Amethyst

Chrome - "not enough memory" - Studio crashes

Hello,

It seems to be happening more frequently that while working on a more involved AR Experience in Vuforia Studio the window suddenly goes blank, except for the message "not enough memory" or "something went wrong" (see attached). I'm using the latest version of Chrome, and my PC is quite powerful with 50GB available memory.

What could be the issue?

It keeps interrupting my work. 😕

Thanks!

Wes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wes_Tomer
12-Amethyst
(To:ytella)

Hello @ytella ,

Thank you for sharing some tips. I checked, and I am running the 64 bit version of chrome.

I read over the stackoverflow, and the associated links that were included in it. It appears the solution is to create a desktop shortcut to Chrome, right-click on it and go to Properties, then click at the end of the path and add a chromium switch as shown below:

(x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --max_old_space_size=4096

Now you can click on the shortcut to launch Chrome. Next launch Vuforia Studio - which will just add another tab to your already open Chrome browser. Other switches are listed here and described here: Run Chromium with flags the latter is documentation from Google & states "It is important to note that using these switches is not supported or recommended. They should only be used for temporary cases and may break in the future." For this reason it might be nice to have a standalone version of Vuforia Studio in the future that does not rely upon the Chrome browser for functionality. Of course, the downside of this would be loosing the Chrome-Developer Tools, which is very helpful in troubleshooting (since we are basically making 3D websites).

I will try this for now, and see if it works (haven't had any issues so far)

Thanks so much!

Wes

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ytella
17-Peridot
(To:Wes_Tomer)

Hi @Wes_Tomer ,

Could you please review the below steps to fix the issue:

1. Double check that you have 64 bit version of chrome in the help -> about Google chrome
  2. Increase the max memory allowed by a Tab in chrome:     https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17491022/max-memory-usage-of-a-chrome-process-tab-how-do-i-increase-it

Hope this helps!

Wes_Tomer
12-Amethyst
(To:ytella)

Hello @ytella ,

Thank you for sharing some tips. I checked, and I am running the 64 bit version of chrome.

I read over the stackoverflow, and the associated links that were included in it. It appears the solution is to create a desktop shortcut to Chrome, right-click on it and go to Properties, then click at the end of the path and add a chromium switch as shown below:

(x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --max_old_space_size=4096

Now you can click on the shortcut to launch Chrome. Next launch Vuforia Studio - which will just add another tab to your already open Chrome browser. Other switches are listed here and described here: Run Chromium with flags the latter is documentation from Google & states "It is important to note that using these switches is not supported or recommended. They should only be used for temporary cases and may break in the future." For this reason it might be nice to have a standalone version of Vuforia Studio in the future that does not rely upon the Chrome browser for functionality. Of course, the downside of this would be loosing the Chrome-Developer Tools, which is very helpful in troubleshooting (since we are basically making 3D websites).

I will try this for now, and see if it works (haven't had any issues so far)

Thanks so much!

Wes

Top Tags