cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Manipulate multiple models

dsgnrClarK
16-Pearl

Manipulate multiple models

Hi there,

Is it possible to manipulate multiple models in a View?

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDWRl9A1p6s&t=55s

Or, this is only can be done with Vuforia Engine?

Thanks a lot. 

ClarK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WilsonT
13-Aquamarine
(To:dsgnrClarK)

Hi Clark,

I believe this is only achievable with Vuforia Engine at the moment.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WilsonT
13-Aquamarine

Hi Clark,

I believe this is only achievable with Vuforia Engine at the moment.

rabernathy
6-Contributor
(To:WilsonT)

Yes, it is possible to manipulate multiple models in a studio  experience; I've done it many times.  Studio doesn't yet support tracking against multiple models in the same view (multiple model targets) but you can put multiple models in any view and manipulate them.

What is the use case you are trying to accomplish?

Hi, @rabernathy 

Thanks for your reply.

The use case is that I need to simulate installing some equipment in a space.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDWRl9A1p6s&t=55s

The difference with IKEA, is that out equipment could have size like a car.

regards,

ClarK

rabernathy
6-Contributor

You'll need to design the way the user will select which model to control, a way to show them which model is "active", and design the controls that the user will use to manipulate the model (move, rotate).

I'm assuming you just want the user to move the model in the XZ plane and that the location in the Y axis will be fixed (that's what is happening in the ikea app).  The fewer DOF you need to control, the easier it is for the user.

There can be a problem with AR experience like this if you expect a high degree of precision.  The types of controls typically used for positioning (like shown in the ikea app) make it hard for the user to place a model precisely.  In the furniture example, it's probably not an issue if the ottoman is a few inches to the left or right.

Thank you for reply.

Yes, there will be a list to pick desired equipment for placing.

Ideal controls of moving and rotating would be multi-touch-gestures.

First is to move on the floor freely, 2 DOF, both in X & Z directions. It would be better if 3 DOF is available with well designed control.

IKEA place has 2 DOF, not so obvious in the YouTube video though.

Give it a try would bring better understanding.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ikea-place/id1279244498

Few inches of lost in precision is not an issue.

rabernathy
6-Contributor

Yes, I'm familiar with the ikea app.  I showed a demo of an experience like what you want at Liveworx 4 years ago.  The problem with the touch gestures is that the js functions for them are different across platforms.  For ios and android, look at the touchstart, touchmove, and touchend standard javascript listeners; for windows surface, the functions are pointer functions (I can't remember the names off the top of my head).

Moving in the XZ plane using 2 fingers is fairly easy, rotating around the Y axis using 1 finger is fairly easy using the functions I listed above.  When you want to add an extra DOF (like moving just in the X or just in the Z, or moving just in the Y, or rotating around a different axis, etc) the user interface requirements and/or the control mechanisms are more difficult.  When you add the additional DOFs, you either need to provide a UI for the user to select the axis/plane they want to move on and the axis about which to rotate or you have to implement gimbal style controls.

As you do compound rotations, the math becomes much harder to implement. 

None of these actions are OOTB in studio but you can build them in javascript.

Top Tags