cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Open external browser - not in Vuforia

leonardosella
12-Amethyst

Open external browser - not in Vuforia

Hi everyone, 

in my project actually I used to open a web page with the following code: 

$scope.app.openConfirmationPage=function(url){ //passo url con pagina per conferma dati 
	 try{
		$timeout( () => {var ref = window.location.href=url;                           
        twx.app.fn.addSnackbarMessage("window.location.href="+window.location.href,"twLogo");},500) 
  	}
  	catch(e){
    	alert('redir failed ' + e); 
  	}
}

and it's all working fine. 

So, I don't want to open the browser into Vuforia View but open for example Chrome, or Safari or other platform. 

How could I do?

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @leonardosella ,

you can try to add in your project a hyperlink widget. So far I remember (tested on IOS in the past)  this will change the behavior also when you try to open the web link  via the setting of 

window.location.href

(so in this case the hyperlink widget could stay invisible)

I don't understand. Could give me an example?

what I meant was to add a hyperlink widget to your Vuforia Studio project - no further action  else:

2020-10-30_10-34-08.jpg

So far I remember addting of this widget to the proejct will change the behavior in Vuforia View  on end device (at least I observed such behavior some time ago and therefore mention if it could be helpful in your case - but your need to test it)

I found one project  where I tested similar functionality. /attached here 

Ok, hyperlink is exactely what I'm searching. 

But, I don't want to use a widget, I want to use Javascript for open the browser. 

I tried with window.open, window.location.href, works fine on preview mode but on mobile don't work. I saw here: https://javascript.info/popup-windows that popups are blocked on mobile.   

Some help?

How can I implement hyperlink with JS or make working window.open?

so far I know , no. If you check the function in Home.js - $scope.hyperLink()

///////////////////////////////////////////////////
$scope.hyperLink= function(){
  let url_str='http://getstatuscode.com/'+$scope.view.wdg['select-1']['value'];
  $scope.view.wdg['hyperlink-1']['url']=url_str
// without the line calling href below it will not work/ will NOT call
// the link form the hyperlink widget in external browser
 // window.location.href=url_str;$scope.$applyAsync(); //will call via href

$timeout( () => {
  var viewName ='Home'
  var widgetId= 'hyperlink-1'
  var element = document.querySelector('[widget-id="' + widgetId + '"]')
  var ang_element=angular.element(element);
  var eventName='click'
  $timeout(function() {
    twx.app.fn.triggerStudioEvent(element, eventName) 

}, 500);
  twx.app.fn.addSnackbarMessage("hyperlink-1 click or "+this.view.wdg['hyperlink-1']['url'],"twLogo");
   },500,true)
};

///////////////////////////////////////////////////
$scope.href = function () {

there was one of my attempts to simulate a click on the Hyperling widget. I tried also some other options (e.g. stack overflow ) but never get it working

But back to the project I attached in my pervious post. When you start it and click on the one of the marked buttons below it was working when I tested it now on  Android and on IOS.

2020-10-30_13-20-49.jpg

It called successful  the sample link reference in the external browser of the device. Did you check it?

So, I try to explain the problem. 

I must set up a button that open an url to a page that change at any press of the button. 

The url is not fixed, how could I write my url with javascript into the label "url" of the hyperlink widget?

I made some test and with some url of example works. 

ok, understand, but could you please, test the project  I attached , justs to see  effect when you click the  metioned / marked buttons. You can scan the project simple from the QR code

2020-10-30_13-22-23.jpg

window.location.replace('http://example.com');

It’s better than using window.location.href = ‘http://example.com’;

Using replace() is better because it does not keep the originating page in the session history, meaning the user won’t get stuck in a never-ending back-button fiasco.

If you want to simulate someone clicking on a link, use window.location.href

If you want to simulate an HTTP redirect, use window.location.replace

You can use assign() and replace methods also to javascript redirect to other pages like the following:

location.assign("http://example.com");

The difference between replace() method and assign() method(), is that replace() removes the URL of the current document from the document history, means it is not possible to use the “back” button to navigate back to the original document. So Use the assign() method if you want to load a new document, and want to give the option to navigate back to the original document.

Top Tags