cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Who can publish an AR experience: Is licensing determined by Studio, Experience Service or TWX?

lcase
9-Granite

Who can publish an AR experience: Is licensing determined by Studio, Experience Service or TWX?

Hi,

I have recently locally installed the Vuforia Experience Service. At no point in the installation was a licensing file requested. I am now wondering how AR Experiences are licensed.

Question 1: Is there only licensing for Vuforia Studio and not the Vuforia Experience Service?

Question 2: How is the licensing for Vuforia Studio related to Thingworx (currently all admin users in the Vuforia Experience Service Thingworx are able to publish experiences)

In general terms, we are unclear on if the licensing depends on the number of published experiences, the number of publishing users or at the installation level of the Vuforia Experience Service (or some combination!). Any explanation would be valued.

All the best!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dupatel
19-Tanzanite
(To:lcase)

@lcase 

Question 1: To clarify, can anyone with a ThingWorx core Foundation license install the ES, install Vuforia Studio and publish AR experience to said Experience Server?

Ans: Anyone having ThingWorx core license and download access to Experience Service(ES), Studio installer can install & configure. Then they should set up proper user access rights to publish Experiences from Studio successfully to ES.

Question 2: I noticed neither Vuforia Studio nor Vuforia Experience Service are listed under software downloads (https://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/index.jsp). With this being the case, how are customers expected to upgrade their Experience Service as well as Vuforia Studio installations?

Ans: I just checked in the system and it appears you are Partner account & do not have valid Studio entitlements due to which you are not getting the option to download Vuforia Studio installers.  All, customers having valid Vuforia Studio entitlements should see the Studio installer in PTC Software Download Portal

This installer includes the option to do the fresh installation or upgrade an existing instance.

-Durgesh

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dupatel
19-Tanzanite

@lcase 

Question 1: Is there only licensing for Vuforia Studio and not the Vuforia Experience Service?

Ans: There is no separate license file or detail required/used for Vuforia Studio or Experience Service (ES) during installation.

Question 2: How is the licensing for Vuforia Studio related to Thingworx (currently all admin users in the Vuforia Experience Service Thingworx are able to publish experiences)

Ans: Vuforia ES works on top of ThingWorx core Foundation and licensing is only governed by ThingWorx.  All users having access to Vuforia Experiences ( AR Project Type: Authentication Required) are created in ThingWorx. For, AR project as Public is visible to all and uses/consumes Tokens ( provided with commercial Vuforia Package) per experience view.

We strongly suggest to reach out to PTC Account/Sales representative associated with your company for any queries or latest details as there are changes done as per new requirements/sales policy and information shared here may appear obsolete.

Hope it clarifies.

Durgesh

lcase
9-Granite
(To:dupatel)

Hi Durgesh,

Thank you for your response. We did in fact reach out to our PTC Sales representative and were explicitly instructed by Kael Lizak to use the ptc community for all questions related to the ES. That being said, you were very helpful in answering our previous post regarding the ES so I have faith that you can help us here as well.

Question 1: To clarify, can anyone with a ThingWorx core Foundation license install the ES, install Vuforia Studio and publish AR experience to said Experience Server?

Question 2: I noticed neither Vuforia Studio nor Vuforia Experience Service are listed under software downloads (https://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/index.jsp). With this being the case, how are customers expected to upgrade their Experience Service as well as Vuforia Studio installations?

We have installed the ES but would like clarity on how to upgrade the system as well as how licensing is regulated. Again, our PTC representative has instructed us to have all questions answered here in the community so I am counting on you to be the one who fills in the gaps in our understanding.

All the best!

Laura

dupatel
19-Tanzanite

@lcase 

Question 1: To clarify, can anyone with a ThingWorx core Foundation license install the ES, install Vuforia Studio and publish AR experience to said Experience Server?

Ans: Anyone having ThingWorx core license and download access to Experience Service(ES), Studio installer can install & configure. Then they should set up proper user access rights to publish Experiences from Studio successfully to ES.

Question 2: I noticed neither Vuforia Studio nor Vuforia Experience Service are listed under software downloads (https://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/index.jsp). With this being the case, how are customers expected to upgrade their Experience Service as well as Vuforia Studio installations?

Ans: I just checked in the system and it appears you are Partner account & do not have valid Studio entitlements due to which you are not getting the option to download Vuforia Studio installers.  All, customers having valid Vuforia Studio entitlements should see the Studio installer in PTC Software Download Portal

This installer includes the option to do the fresh installation or upgrade an existing instance.

-Durgesh

lcase
9-Granite
(To:dupatel)

Thanks Durgesh. This did answer our question.

Top Tags