cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Form-based Authentication or Auto "logoff" after 10 minutes

BryanK
14-Alexandrite

Form-based Authentication or Auto "logoff" after 10 minutes

Version: Windchill 12.1

Use Case: Need the Browser / Windchill to log out the user after about 10 minutes. Need a well documented example to setup FBA using Windchill tomcat.

Description:

I'm trying to find a way to log a user out after 10 minutes. (this time could / should be changeable) 

From my investigations / understanding You can enable Form-based Authentication and then you can change the servlet session timeout of 30 minutes is set in <Windchill>/codebase/WEB-INF/web.xml

Changing that alone does not work. So I assume that you need to enable forms based auth.

I have been through countless support articles on using Form-based Authentication. I have also read through the helpfiles and I'm lost. 

I'm trying to use windchill tomcat to do the FBA

I have set the wt.properties like this.

wt.auth.form.enabled=true
wt.auth.form.submitUrl=https\://MYWINDCHILL.com/Windchill/login/login.jsp
wt.auth.form.loginMarker=<form method="POST" action="j_security_check" id="login">

wt.logout.url=https\://MYWINDCHILL..com/Windchill/login/login.jsp

I get the following

BryanK_0-1722402097084.png

And then I get the following

BryanK_1-1722402136144.png

Does anyone have a working example, as the ptc help files are too vague for me.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Bryan

5 REPLIES 5
BryanK
14-Alexandrite
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Hi Marco,

I have tried that nothing happens..

I have also tried this one (another PTC kb )

<Property name="wt.session.sessionUsers.timeout" overridable="true" targetFile="codebase/wt.properties" value="5"/>

and this one

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS74864

Still no joy. 

I wouldn't know what else to suggest.

The session timeout is governed by what is written in the two articles and in my case it works correctly with the default setting at 30 minutes.

In fact, some users save, even though they shouldn't for security reasons, credentials from the browser so that they automatically authenticate when the 30 minutes set in Tomcat expires.

Marco
rleir
17-Peridot
(To:BryanK)

BryanK
14-Alexandrite
(To:rleir)

Hi,

Thanks I have already read through that thread, which was very informative. I even like some of the work arounds.

I get that OOTB there is no "auto-logout" functionality and I'm happy to accept this. What I'm to do is get windchill to work with forms-based authentication so that "hopefully" the tomcat session will force the logon page after the time-out. 

What I cant find is some documentation or example that I can start testing with using the OOTB Windchill/login/login.jsp. 

Or I'm just not reading the documentation correctly.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Announcements

Top Tags