cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

BOM Relations

ptc-5662149
1-Newbie

BOM Relations

Okay, I've been going at this for hours now and I’m having no luck. Hopefully someone on here has had a similar issue and can help…

[Background Info]

We add “_bulk” to bulk item part numbers to differentiate them from actual parts.

For example, if we have part number “AB1234” the bulk item version of this (if necessary) is “AB1234_BULK”

[Issue]

The issue is when populating the BOM, “AB1234_BULK” appears as the part number (asm.mbr.name) for the bulk items and we only want it to display “AB1234”.

I created a relation in the bulk part itself which creates a parameter that truncates anything containing “_bulk”. So, out of the box, the bulk item “AB1234_BULK” contains a parameter named “bulkname” that automatically generates the value “AB1234”.

Next, in the assembly BOM relations, I simply want to write a relation that replaces “asm_mbr_name” with “asm_mbr_bulkname” whenever it sees “_bulk” as a value. Is this possible?

Currently, my BOM relations are as follows:

if asm_mbr_name=="_bulk"

asm_mbr_name=asm_mbr_bulkname

else

asm_mbr_name=asm_mbr_name

endif

But, I get absolutely no change to the BOM when doing this, or when trying anything for that matter... it just stays the same as if I did nothing.

Is there a symbol for “contains” as opposed to “equal to”?

How would I go about this?

I am a novice at relations so the more in layman's terms he better.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Your relation isn't doing what you think it's suppose to be doing. The way it's written it doesn't search for asm.mbr.name that contains "_bulk" it is searching for a part whose name is _bullk.

if this is a bulk item try this:

IF asm_mbr_type == "BULK ITEM"

name = asm_mbr_bulkname

ELSE

name = asm_mbr_name

ENDIF

In your BOM the column for the part name should have:

&rpt.rel.name

Top Tags