cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to control multi line text of an Annotation Note using Family Table Instance value?

danders238
13-Aquamarine

How to control multi line text of an Annotation Note using Family Table Instance value?

Hi,

Having trouble adding an annotation note to a family table where the text assigned to the family table instance controls what's shown in the note for each instance, The instances are only displaying the note for the generic and when I modify the family table values they don't display in the model.

danders238_1-1702930364051.png

I want to have the general notes driven from the family table instances and the text in the image below be the values that are shown on the drawings.

danders238_0-1702930066302.png

What's the proper way to add annotation unattached notes to a family table and have the ability to change the text displayed in the note based on what's assigned to the instance value?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok, I created the toy example that shows how the "general notes" note will change depending on what instance is used:

pausob_2-1704856221298.png

(try opening the drawing and use "replace view model" function in the layout tab to see this in action)

pausob_3-1704856289897.png

I have a feeling that you will look at this and do a lot of head-scratching and wonder - it works?, but there must be a better way? 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:danders238)

Off the top of my head, I would say this is not current functionality.

Do you want to put the notes on a drawing. or as MBD annotations?

If on a drawing, you could use a parameter as part of the line in a family table to trigger a Drawing Program change to your note.

danders238
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

Forgot to mention that I'm on Creo 8 Currently.

The multi line note currently a MBD annotation in the model that's shown in the model and on the drawing.

You can do what you want to do by showing a note calling out a "Note" type of a parameter + relations that will assign the note ID of a specific annotation to the note parameter based on the text that is  assigned to another parameter (which will be varied in the family table).

Sounds complicated? 

So have you considered that instead of multiple notes, one of which is "chosen" for the instance, you can have a single note which calls out parameter values.  And then these parameters values are controlled in your family table.

I.e.: note text:

2. AMPERE RATING: &AMPERE_RATING
   MAX VOLTAGE RATING: &MAX_VOLTAGE_RATING

(&AMPERE_RATING, &MAX_VOLTAGE RATING.... are all STRING type parameters, and each would be a column in your family table)

pausob_1-1702940890455.png

danders238
13-Aquamarine
(To:pausob)

Hi,

The above proposed solution won't work for my case as I have numbered notes that for some instance that won't be used for all instances.   Thus some parts will have 5 numbered notes and others may have 7 or more numbered notes.

I need a way to have predefined notes and swap them out using a family table kind of like you can for Pattern Tables.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Don A

Constantin
13-Aquamarine
(To:danders238)

Hi,
I think what you want to do is currently only possible with several annotation features, which brings along the issue of having multiple identical notes.

Well, yes - you can use the note parameters + relations.

I could provide an example - after you clarify your requirements.

The illustration you provided is very confusing to me as it shows 3 notes, each numbered as #2...

danders238
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

The main requirement I have is that not all notes will be used for all instances contained in the family table and details in each note may very significantly.  Below is another example of note differences. notice line c. doesn't exist in the second set of notes and note 3 in the second set of notes not used in the first set of notes in the image below.
This drives the need to be able to swap out the complete text of the notes for each instance.

danders238_0-1704809570817.png

Thanks for any help you may provide,

Don A

Ok, I created the toy example that shows how the "general notes" note will change depending on what instance is used:

pausob_2-1704856221298.png

(try opening the drawing and use "replace view model" function in the layout tab to see this in action)

pausob_3-1704856289897.png

I have a feeling that you will look at this and do a lot of head-scratching and wonder - it works?, but there must be a better way? 🙂

danders238
13-Aquamarine

Pausob,

Back in the early Pro/E & Wildfire days you could create part file level notes (cant remember what they were call) and reference note internal ID from a drawing note and have them merged into the a single drawing note.  Looks like this is set up in a similar way.

Most Excellent! Your solution satisfies my needs.  You are correct, would be nice if there was a text entry area where you could type out all the notes and then call them from the family table.

Based on what you provided, below are the steps I think I need to perform to set up the general notes to work as they do in the file you provided.

1, Create a Notes Annotation feature and add individual unattached notes that will be called by relations to populate the General Notes annotation feature unattached note.

danders238_2-1704897788166.png

2. Create the following parameters:

INSTANCE_NOTE    string type  with value set to -

NOTE_CHOSEN       note type

danders238_3-1704898045756.png

3. Create General Note Annotation containing unattached note and enter the following text in the unattached note:
    &NOTE_CHOSEN

danders238_4-1704898145324.png

4. use the find command and search for all notes in the model. This will be how you find the note ID's that will be used in the relations to control which notes are pulled into the General Unattached note.

danders238_5-1704898321008.png

5. Add the following relations to the model and verify relations:

NOTE_CHOSEN = 8 /*sets text to be displayed for the generic

if INSTANCE_NOTE == "INST1"
NOTE_CHOSEN = 5 /*sets text to be displayed for instance 1

ENDIF
if INSTANCE_NOTE == "INST2"
NOTE_CHOSEN = 6 /*sets text to be displayed for instance 2

ENDIF

danders238_6-1704898772698.png

6. Create family table in part or assembly file and add parameter INSTANCE_NOTE along with instances needed and verify family table.

danders238_7-1704898976029.png

7. Create drawing and add model instance to drawing, then display general note annotation feature unattached note text.

danders238_8-1704899136710.png

8. repeat creating drawings for other model instances in the family table.

Thank You Pausob!  This has been a big help!
Don A

Top Tags