cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creo 2.0 bin dir changes

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Creo 2.0 bin dir changes

I'm starting to look at Creo 2.0 and I noticed some interesting changes in the bin directory.

Creo 1.0 Creo 2.0
Ptcsetup reconfigure
Pro_build_library_ctg -
Rbm_shutdown -
Rbm_startup -
Tempmgr -
- uniinstall
- cocreatesim.bat
- cocreatesim.psf
- Msvcr100.dll
- pim <- new dir

There is also a installer for a demo & pdf of Simple Windchill Integration Model in this directory:
<loadpoint>\Creo 2.0\Parametric\Creo 2.0\Parametric\install\addons\swim

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Unlike all previous ProE and Creo 1.0 installers, the Creo 2.0 installer will automatically create an additional folder level than it used to do. In Creo 1 you specified the loadpoint and it created the Common Files, Parmametric folder in that location. Now it adds Creo 2.0 above those folders.

For example if you make the install folder "c:\ptc\Creo 2.0", you will get this directory structure:
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Creo 2.0\Common Files
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Creo 2.0\Parametric
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Creo 2.0\Simulate
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Parametric\Quality Agent\i486
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Parametric\Quality Agent\text
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Quality Agent <--empty dir

If you then install the help center using the default location "c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Help" You will get this:
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Help\Creo 2.0\Help\bin
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Help\Creo 2.0\Help\help

Obviously that's a bit screwy.

I deleted everything and tried several more time, and ran into a problem where the install button was always grayed out. I had to delete these two files before I could install the software again:
C:\ptcsetup.log
C:\ptcsetup.bak
The problem was inconsistent. I didn't have those same files after installing it again.

Here is what I did to get a somewhat clean install locations:
I installed both the help center and Creo 2.0 in c:\ptc
The installers created the Creo 2.0 folder name and installed everything here:
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Parametric
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Simulate
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Parametric\Quality Agent\i486
c:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Parametric\Quality Agent\text
c:\ptc\Quality Agent <--empty dir
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Help\bin
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Help\help

Even though I told it not to install the quality agent. It did so anyway. You will want to manually remove those directories. And may want to remove the .msi it placed down in the loadpoint. Here:
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\F000\install\addon\creoagent_32_64.msi

If you want to prevent the install of the Quality Agent entirely, rename the folder inside the Creo 2.0 installer. This folder:
<installer location=">\F000\install\addon
You can call it anything else. The only thing in the addon folder are two Quality Agent .msi's.

Oh, one more thing, If you have been using PTC's installers for years, it's not going to be apparent to you that there is a Customize button.
[cid:image002.jpg@01CD118D.52A8D670]

That brings up a dialog box with three tabs to allow you to select what gets installed for each of the components in the left column. Allows you to adjust your license configurations, and to decide if you want shortcuts on the desktop, or in the start menu. I typically don't install any shortcuts. You will need to do this for each of the items that is in the left column. So even though you don't install icons for Creo Parametric, You have to pick Creo Simulate and select what Icons you want for that.

[cid:image005.jpg@01CD118D.52A8D670]

Post install, on your first startup of Creo 2.0, a Creo Thumbnail Viewer installer will launch. If your IT department limits the run of the mill user from installing software on their machine, you will have to install this on the system after the install. You can start the installer by going to this folder and running the .msi:
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\F000\install\addon\Thumbviewer_32_64.msi
You have no control over where it places this software.

If you want ProductView Express that is also in the same location.
C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\F000\install\addon\pvx32_64\CreoSetup.exe
If you pick advanced, you can determine where this software is installed.

You're going to find that there are some different names to the running processes. The task manager will show these:

[cid:image008.jpg@01CD118D.52A8D670]

The other thing I've noticed is Creo 2.0 is figuring out where my Windchill server is and automatically registering it. Even though I've redirected the cache to an empty loacation using:
set PTC_WF_ROOT=%USERPROFILE%\pro\creo_2_home\PDMLink_Cache\PTC\ProENGINEER
haven't figured this out yet. I'll be opening a call with PTC on this one.

David Haigh
DaveEngel
5-Regular Member
(To:davehaigh)

David,

Nice post, I’m seeing some of the same things you are, although I have the opposite problem with Windchill. I register my Windchill server; however it needs re-registered every time I launch Creo 2.0!!

I have PTC_WF_ROOT set to, and including, the .wf folder.

-Dave

Top Tags