cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Creo3.0 Pocket finishing Issue

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Creo3.0 Pocket finishing Issue

upgraded to Creo3.0 and everthing is wonderful!! except the way I finish pockets doesn't work any longer.

What I Used to do was make a finish pass on the pocket walls using a mill window or a mill volume with the parameters set to profile only follow hard walls with a leadin and leadout and cutter comp on so the operator could adjust the pocket size.

follow_hardwalls.JPG

I would then finish the floor of the pocket using the parameters set to spiral and faces only with a wall stock of some value to keep the cutter off the wall.

faces_only.JPG

Since upgrading to Creo3.0 M010 if you put a stock value in the prof_stock_allow it gives me the good old "toolpath could not be created please check the set up" message. If there is no stock it works but the tool is right against the wall. Not what I want.

The work around is to use the parameters spiral and rough only and set the step depth so it makes one pass at the bottom then the stock allowance works fine.

but If you have a pocket with multiple depths or floors the faces only was nice because you could finish them all with a single sequence.

My question is has anyone else noticed this or am I doing something that is not intended by finishing the pockets this way.

I think it's a bug. I want to turn in a SPR but I want to make sure it's repeatable on someone elses system.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Have you checked, whether it is because of ROUGH_STOCK_ALLOW being larger than BOTTOM_STOCK_ALLOW or whether it is in fact entirely related to PROF_STOCK_ALLOW?

Check with all three values set to 0.01 - this could provide some hints to what is going wrong.

Do you have models from older releases where this was working? Is it reproducible that the same settings don't work in Creo 3.0? (You may have to to fake changes to the sequence to make the toolpath actually recomputed)

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:gkoch)

Gunter,

Thanks for the reply.

I turned it in to Tech Support (case #12314077) they were able to reproduce the problem.

Hopefully they can fix this. I do have a work around that are ok where I can use the parameter rough only instead of faces the wall stock will work. but I have to create a z depth for each level of floor if there are multiple depths in the pocket. With the parameter faces only it would machine all the flat surfaces in the pocket which is much more efficient then doing multiple depths.

Steve

Top Tags