cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Calculate the maximum deflection of a structure subjected to bending

ksk_10594232
9-Granite

Calculate the maximum deflection of a structure subjected to bending

Hi

I want to calculate the maximum deflection of a structure subjected to bending. The deflection occurs within the buckling length, defined as the deflection within the points of inflection i.e. where M(z)=0.

I have plotted the moment and the deflection in the attached file, but need further assistance finding the maximum deflection within the buckling length (see page 2 in the attached file). 

Any help appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Terry's file translated to Prime 7.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi,

Like this?

Capture.JPG

And if you include the small negative deflection at the lower point you get.

Capture2.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Thank you. What I'm really looking for is a function that automatically plots the dashed line and the "d-line" for any generic shape of the deflection curve. 

Something like the attached?

Its based on Terrys solution.

You have a confusing mix at the abscissa - two quantities of completely different dimensions (units mm and kN*m).

So I decided for a dimensionless approach - after all Terry already made Mz0 and uz0 dimensionless instead of the appropriate units meter because he used root without units. So all I had to do was to get rid of the remaining units.

Would you mind posting a print screen? I assume you have a more recent version of Prime. 

Capture.JPG

The lines will update automatically with changes in data

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ksk_10594232)

Here's Werner's file for your version of Prime.

Success!
Luc

Thanks to both of you! Very appreciated! 

I think the dl-matrix should look like this so the dashed line connects to the red line. 

ksk_10594232_0-1686892466758.png

However, I am not sure if the "dd-line" is correct. I want the "dd-line" to automatically plot the largest gap between the dashed line and the red line. As it's plotted right now, It might be correct for this case, but I doubt it's correct for the general case.

Thanks for your support!

Hi

Here is an adjustment to Werner's file Prime 9 that does the trick.

Capture.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Terry's file translated to Prime 7.

Success!
Luc

Excellent! I'm grateful for your help

Top Tags