cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Looking for real zeros

AlfredFlaßhaar
13-Aquamarine

Looking for real zeros

MathCad 14 factored the function sinx(x). It is known from other investigations that this function has only real zeros. If you now look for the zeros of each factor (the terms are in parentheses), then MathCad calculates complex zeros that cannot be simplified. Where is the saw stuck here 😉 .

Kind regards, Alfred Flasshaar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In the sheet you attached I can find no attempts to find any zeros!

Mathcad often displays real numbers using expressions with the imaginary unit. Nonetheless those expressions are real numbers as you can confirm by using "float" or numeric evaluation:

Werner_E_0-1670969559639.png

Actually the first solution

Werner_E_1-1670970126594.png

is equivalent to

Werner_E_2-1670970153145.png

but I have no algebraic expression without using the imaginary unit at hand.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

The saw is stuck at numerical precision when calculating numerical results, even from symbolic expressions. I get all real results, sometimes with an imaginary part that is below numerical precision. That is: where the real part is in the order of 1, the imaginary part is in the order of 10^-19  to 10^-21. You can/should discard such imaginary parts.

(Forum doesn't let me insert pictures, alas)

Success!
Luc

Then MathCad isn't that precise with algebra (Galois, Rufini, ...)? In the complex plane, a number is to be regarded as real from arithmetic point of view if it is not only represented exactly on the x-axis, but is also contained in an x-strip of finite but small width along the x-axis. That takes some getting used to for me.

BTW:
I'm not familiar with the rules of the PTC forum, although I've been using MathCad since version 6 and haven't updated it since 14. Where can I find rules? Dumb question: what are "kudos"?

Greetings Alfred

There are no dumb questions.

From the Oxford dictionary:

kudos
/ˈkjuːdɒs/
  1. praise and honour received for an achievement.
    "she was looking for kudos rather than profit"

On this forum you can give Kudos to reactions that you like.
    Also it is appreciated that you select an answer as being the solution to your question.

Success!
    Luc

In general Mathcad is pretty precise as long as it can remain in symbolic mode. However, as soon as it needs to switch from symbolic mode to numerical (floating point) mode, the precision drops to IEEE floating point precision, which means that you get about 16 digits of precision:

LucMeekes_3-1671019182097.png

Now the symbolic solver will switch to floating point mode e.g. when solving higher order polynomes, since the symbolic solutions only exist for 4th order polynomes.

Success!

Luc

In the sheet you attached I can find no attempts to find any zeros!

Mathcad often displays real numbers using expressions with the imaginary unit. Nonetheless those expressions are real numbers as you can confirm by using "float" or numeric evaluation:

Werner_E_0-1670969559639.png

Actually the first solution

Werner_E_1-1670970126594.png

is equivalent to

Werner_E_2-1670970153145.png

but I have no algebraic expression without using the imaginary unit at hand.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

This is as close as I get:

LucMeekes_0-1670970895524.png

Luc

@LucMeekes wrote:

This is as close as I get:

LucMeekes_0-1670970895524.png

Luc

Yes, but Mathcad is just applying the elementary equation

Werner_E_2-1670972090769.png

neither algebraic nor avoiding the imaginary unit.

In MC15 it something similar can be achieved with

Werner_E_1-1670971867980.png

I am not sure if a simple pure algebraic expression could be found.

The Re and Im functions are convincing.

It seems to be:

1.PNG

Best Regards.

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:lvl107)

2.PNG

Top Tags