cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Mathcad Keyboard Navigation: Select the math range that the cursor is currently in

RazBaz
4-Participant

Mathcad Keyboard Navigation: Select the math range that the cursor is currently in

This may seem like a silly question, but I can't figure out a simple keyboard shortcut. I searched online but to no avail.

How do I select the math range that I my cursor is in??

Say I want to delete a math range. How can I do that without using the mouse.

Say I want to move a math range around, how do I do that without the mouse?

This would help my flow in mathcad tremendously since I wouldn't need to pick up my mouse and make a selection box to help organize my work.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to answer my simple question!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RazBaz
4-Participant
(To:RazBaz)

Ooo I think I may have just figured it out! ctrl+enter may do what I need 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RazBaz
4-Participant

Ooo I think I may have just figured it out! ctrl+enter may do what I need 🙂

Use the space button please! 

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

Use the space button please! 

Valery, the space key will highlight/select the math expression or parts of it inside a region and if the whole expression is selected it can also be deleted by pressing the delete key, but it does NOT select the region itself so that e.g. it could be moved around using the cursor keys.

As ctrl-enter works for RazBaz he is obviously talking about Prime. I don't know of an equivalent keyboard shortcut in real Mathcad, though.

RazBaz
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks for the clarification Werner. Correct, spacebar only selects sections within a math range (for instance if my cursor is on a variable, pressing spacebar will select the variable. Then pressing spacebar again would select the variable and the next expression)

I didn't realize MathCAD Prime was so underpowered to not be considered 'real' mathcad. What does ctrl+enter do in real mathcad?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

It breaks an equation using "+..." to the next line. That feature was introduced in Prime as of version 4.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I didn't realize MathCAD Prime was so underpowered to not be considered 'real' mathcad. What does ctrl+enter do in real mathcad?

Many long term users of Mathcad use the term "real" Mathcad to denote the versions up to Mathcad 15.

And yes, compared to old Mathcad, Prime is unfortunately considerably underpowered and at the time not even the greatest optimists believe that Prime will ever reach the level which old Mathcad had over 10 years ago. PTC seems to have other plans.

Inside a region "ctrl enter" does the very same in Mathcad as "ctrl shift +" does in Prime (since version 4)

It inserts a line break and writes a + sign followed by a placeholder at the begin of the new line. This is meant to cope with too long lines when you assign a long sum to a variable. Its of no help when you evaluate an expression and the result is too wide to fit the page (a problem often seen with symbolic evaluations).

And to be fair it must be said that Prime here has improved over Mathcad as it offers that feature not only for + (sums) but for the other three basic arithmetic operations, too.

For users of PTC Creo, we often find that Mathcad is also used, to keep issue outline by serving you to comprehend usual units, conversions, and compatibility. If your formula is conniving in meters (m), you can change the element to millimeters (mm) and Mathcad handles the conversions and simplifications behind the scenes. Or if you need calculations to convert units of mass, pressure, and voltage, Mathcadhandles those, too. If you try to calculate opposed units, Mathcad flags the formula so you can correct it. This background conversion and checking are handy if you regularly deal with companies that use different systems, like metric and imperial. Mathcad will let you combine compatible units – you can add force in N and kN or lbf.

Mathcad will flag errors when trying to combine incompatible units – you cannot add force and velocity.

Mathcad will carry units throughout all calculations, so you can keep them explicit.

Mathcad lets you choose which unit system or which specific unit to display the result in and will do the conversion help for you. This way you can solve your homework using this formula.

jakov_units_4.png

PTC Mathcad is prime and expertly engineered. It’s okay if you see like a rookie. For now, keep those keyboard shortcut references secure. Let Mathcad help you with conversions.

Top Tags