cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

READPRN file.

JJ_10814212
3-Visitor

READPRN file.

Hi, I'm currently having programming issues with converted mcxd files See attached screenshot. It's not reading PRN correctly. I have the file installed and using the read data file it finds the prn file it just won't populate the data. See attached screenshot.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. The university used to use mathcad 14 and i believe when converting the file the si units are not populating either.

Thanks,

Joshimage.png

JJ_10814212_0-1698122114465.png

31 REPLIES 31
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:JJ_10814212)

There is not much which can be said just seeing the pictures.

Why don't you post the working MC14 file along with the non-working Prime file ...

Bets guess just from the pics: Once again a problem with Primes labelling. READPRN shoub be labelled "Function" or "automatic" (= " - ") and normally should appear in upright letters, not italic ones. Try to relabel READPRN accordingly and see if it works.

From the pic it cannot be said whats the error the usage of cp  throws and why it occurs. Maybe cp is not defined or not labelled the same.

hi see attached files

Any info would be greatly appreciated

and as for the si units see attached file (cp)

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

The problem with LINQ and the units cp etc is because cp and other units are defined TWICE with a global assignment. This is unnecessary (to say the least) but allowed in real Mathcad. But Prime throws an error if a variable is globally assigned twice.

The problem is easily resolved by deleting the second definitions. See attached Prime 9 sheet.

You may consider labelling those variables as units by clicking on them and pressing Ctrl-U (or use the menu for doing so).

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

3.4.zip is empty!

Do you have an email address I can directly email you please? I’ll send through all of the files through that

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

1) AS expected READPRN is labelled wrong, Label it manually as "function"

2) the file "Prob7-4ii.txt" you sent is not a valid file for PRNREAD. Its not a file created using WRITEPRN. You would have to use the original "Prob7-4.prn".

Sorry the only way I could send the txt/prn file to you was this way.. it’s not letting me attach .prn files. I also tried the control U.. it’s still populating an error It is showing blue text though

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@JJ_10814212 wrote:
Sorry the only way I could send the txt/prn file to you was this way.. it’s not letting me attach .prn files. I also tried the control U.. it’s still populating an error It is showing blue text though

Ctrl-U would label it as being a "unit". You want it to be labeled as "function"

Use the menu to do so

Werner_E_0-1698126689311.png

If this forum software refuses to attach a prn file, you can zip it as you already did with the other files.

Ok so I re labelled it as a function and it’s still not formatting/populating data correctly
It's just strange that's all
And as for the prn file.. it's still not working

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Why don't you send the prn file in a zip archive?

The problem with the cp etc. units should be solved right now, right?

EDIT: Find attached the fixed KLINK.mcdx along with the proper prn file.

It was no problem for Mathcad 15 to read in your text-file and save it again using WRITEPRN, so that even Prime was happy 😉
Mathcad is still way more capable compared to poor Prime ...

No,

I'm still having the same problem with the cp units.. It's really strange.

See attached my Problem questions. My current problem is located in chapter 3 3-3 and chapter 3 3-4

Sorry it's not letting me send a prn file through zip and when i do i send it its empty

See Attached.

THanks,

Joshua

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

What you sent are Mathcad 14/15 files which shoe now problem.

But as already written you have to delete the double definitions of variables/units as otherwise the files fail in Prime

Werner_E_1-1698131849034.png

BTW, I had no problem sending you (my edited last reply) the working KLINK.MCDX along with the correct prn file in a zip archive.

I deleted the doubled up formula and still nothing...

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Post the failing Prime file as otherwise I won't be able to see what the problem may be (possibly Prime's infamous auto labeling).

Each occurence of cp, etc, must have the same label (possible "variable" or "unit"). If thats not the case, you have to set the label manually via the menu as already shown.

Thanks mate I’ll send all of this to my lecturer and hopefully she can provide some insight into this

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Hmm - it looks to me that the problem should already be solved.

Find attached in the zip file the working LINQ.mcdx whith the deleted second global unit definitions and also again the KLINK.mcdx with the working READPRN along with the correct prn file.

LINQ works! Thanks Heaps!!

KLINK... not working-It won't find the file 7-4 prn.

How did you fix LINQ?

I can apply it to all of the other chapters and questions

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@JJ_10814212 wrote:

How did you fix LINQ?

I can apply it to all of the other chapters and questions

I opened the LINQ.mcdx which you posted and simply deleted the three duplicate global definitions. Nothing else was necessary to do.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@JJ_10814212 wrote:

LINQ works! Thanks Heaps!!

KLINK... not working-It won't find the file 7-4 prn.

You have to copy the prn-file in the zip-archive to the same directory where KLINK.mcdx resides (or you have to change the path in the file)

Ok, you change the file path by using the read data file?

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@JJ_10814212 wrote:
Ok, you change the file path by using the read data file?

??

The first argument of the function READPRN is a string which contains the full filename (drive, path, name and extension).

If no drive and path is supplied, the files is looked for in the same directory the Prime file is located.

In the files you provided no drive letter or path was given, so the prn file should reside in the same directory as the Prime file.

Can you still use Mathcad 14 or has it been phased out?

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

PTC does not sell and support any version of Mathcad or any version of Prime prior to Prime 7 (current version is Prime 9).

Reason is the symbolic engine embedded in those versions which is owned by MathWorks (known for  of Matlab).

If you have a perpetual version of Mathcad 14 or Mathcad 15 you should still be able to use it.

If you need a license file for a new hardware, it was said by users in those forum that the usual ways to transfer the license online do not work anymore and you will have to contact PTC support. They should be able to help and send a license file which works for the new hardware.

JJ_10814212_0-1698131554169.png

thats the problem (licensing dramas our university is having when opening up mathcad 14.

IS that something that can be fixed? I think it will just be very beneficial for everyone if i continue to use MC14.

So sorry about the massive email chain.

My university won't resolve/can't resolve the issue.

Thanks so much for all of your help so far mate.

Josh

Announcements

Top Tags