cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

XMCD MCD Converter

RM_10752935
4-Participant

XMCD MCD Converter

I successfully converted a number of .mcd and .xmcd files to .mcdx files in the last 2 days. (using Mathcad Prime 9.0 in the Mathcad Express version, but with 26 days left in the free trial period ) My computer updated and restarted last night (Windows 11). Today, the .mcd files I have attempted to convert have failed. The xml log file for 1 conversion said "Could not start Mathcad conversion process. Check that .Net Framework 3.5 Windows Feature is enabled".

I enabled that feature in Windows (following the Microsoft instructions), and restarted the computer, but subsequent conversions also failed. The same message is in the .xml log file of the conversions attempted after enabling the NET Framework.

I have attached the xml log file and the log.txt file that were produced in the conversion process.

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I wanted to follow up regarding the proposed solution to the fact that the MCD to XMCD converter in Mathcad Prime 9.0 ceased to work after a Windows 11 upgrade.  The suggested solution was to re-install Mathcad to try to get the converter working again after the Windows 11 upgrade.

The converter is working again after I uninstalled and re-installed Mathcad. Furthermore, the re-install did not affect the trial period; there were just as many days left after the re-install as before.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hi,

Could you also upload the xmcd/mcd file causing the problem

Cheers

Terry,

As requested, I have uploaded the file - GHA (1).mcd - that would not convert, that generated the already uploaded .xml and _exceptions_log.txt files.

I also tried another experiment, and have uploaded the respective files.

CONQ2A.mcd is a Mathcad 7 file that converted successfully yesterday - prior to the update that Windows performed on my computer last night, that may have caused the problem.

CONQ2A - Copy.mcd is a copy of the Mathcad 7 file that converted successfully yesterday. But the conversion of this copy FAILED to convert today (after the Windows update). The .xml and exceptions.log.txt files for the failed conversion of this file are also attached. 

CONQ2A - Copy2.mcd is a copy of the Mathcad 7 file that converted successfully yesterday, but failed to convert today. However, this file was run through the converter AFTER the .NET Framework 3.5 feature was expressly enabled in Windows (and the computer restarted). Since the .xml file contains the same error text, it seems to indicate that the enabling of the NET Framework is not the culprit in this problem. The .xml file and _exceptions.log.txt files for this failed conversion are also attached.

Thank you.

Hi,

Enclosed four files all converted OK with my installation of Prime 9

Cheers

Terry

Hi,

The failure is either the converter or Prime file cannot be found.  It is not a failure by the converted file

.Exception data:

System.Exception: E_FAIL_MATHCAD_COM_WAS_NOT_STARTED ---> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'mcautomation.Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{562717B4-91AA-4A4B-B735-A4012217B9BD}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

I would suggest reinstalling Prime but as you are in a valuation period don't fool with Prime  until you have finished your evaluation period.  Remember the converter is an installation option that is off by default so when installing Prime you need to check that option.

Unfortunately I can't help here either.

I found the attached article from Dec. 2022 in the Knowledge base, but I guess that the "solution" provided there is exactly what you did and the suggested re-installation isn't an option as you might loose your 25 days left of the trial period.
And if a recent Win11 update is actually causing the problem I would not expect a knowledge base article so soon after.

Normally I would suggest contacting PTC support and opening a case, but I don't know if this option is available for non-paying users (guess no).

Maybe @VladimirN  or other PTC personal (? @admin@DJNewman  ) can provide more information.

Hi,

What we can do is convert anymore files for you during your evaluation period.

Cheers

Terry

Terry,

Thank you for converting my files, and I appreciate your offer to convert additional files for me during my evaluation period. I have included a link to a Google Drive file where I have deposited additional files that I would like converted. There are 22. I chose the link route in order to circumvent the attachment limitation of this forum. If this methodology doesn't work, then I can attach the files individually.

Link to Google Drive with Mathcad files to convert

I appreciate your advice about not uninstalling and reinstalling Mathcad during my trial period. I was hesitant to do that, and you confirmed my hesitancy. I will check with PTC Support, but do you know whether the converter will operate with only the express version of Mathcad - if I choose not to procure a full license at the end of my trial?

One additional observation: In my experimentation, I attempted to convert the files directly using the WorkSheetConverter.exe program, rather than using the feature inside Mathcad. That method also failed to successfully convert the files. In light of that information, do you still believe uninstalling and reinstalling Mathcad, making sure to check the box about including the converter, is a reasonable course of action?

Thank you again.
Roger

Hi Roger

Needs at least one additional file "Utilities.mcd" referenced internally in "SunPosition.mcd"

If you decide to get a licence you should reinstall . During installation you need to check the box to include the file converter.

Then it is available as a stand alone program and can be started from inside Prime on the ribbon.

Reinstalling adds again everything necessary.  It will work.

Cheers

Terry

Looks like Terry missed three files. Here they are attached.

I just tried and set my Prime into Express mode. The converter is not grayed out and I could chose it and add files, so I thought - Bingo! But when I pressed the "convert" button, it just said "No License" and refused to convert the file. So - no - you won't be able to convert legacy files when your version falls back to express mode.

BTW, I am not absolutely sure that you will lose your remaining trial time when you reinstall Prime, but I can see the risk of it happening. Maybe you are OK, if you save the current license file and replace it after reinstallation. But if you're depending on the days when Prime is still running in its full version, I wouldn't take the chance (unless an official PTC rep guarantees you that the procedure will work).

And of course there is no guarantee that a re-install would cure your problem - after all we don't know what caused it and if the Win11 update is responsible, it might be fixed only when Prime 10 is ready. Re-Install is just one thing that comes to mind and is also suggested in the knowledge base article I had attached. A total clean up (saving the license first) followed by reinstall would also re-install the converter. I guess that when you initiate the conversion from within the program, the very same process is called as when you use the stand alone interface.

Many thanks to both terryhendicott and Werner_E for addressing my converter problem and subsequent questions. They went above and beyond to convert my files for me, since my installation of Mathcad would not. I can't imagine how many hours of labor that saved me, not having to reconstruct those files. I haven't had good experiences with community forums for various software programs that I have used over the years, but I sure hit the jackpot this time!

My deepest gratitude to you both!

Roger

I wanted to follow up regarding the proposed solution to the fact that the MCD to XMCD converter in Mathcad Prime 9.0 ceased to work after a Windows 11 upgrade.  The suggested solution was to re-install Mathcad to try to get the converter working again after the Windows 11 upgrade.

The converter is working again after I uninstalled and re-installed Mathcad. Furthermore, the re-install did not affect the trial period; there were just as many days left after the re-install as before.

Top Tags