cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

matrix indexing using parentheses

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

matrix indexing using parentheses

Let me tell you a story.  Once upon a time, perhaps even 10 minutes ago, when writing a new function (Bidiagonal) and testing it with strings, I replaced a direct function call argument with a predefined vector but forgot to remove the original function's argument.  After a few seconds of gazing at the (correct) output from Bidiagonal, I realised that the notation V(3) for vector V should have raised an error, but it didn't. 

After a bit of playing with a new, blank worksheet, I confirmed that to get an array's elements, one can use the standard subscripted index notation Mi,j or the standard programming language parenthesis notation M(i,j). And Little Red Riding Hood and Peter campaigned for a better public understanding of wolves, their role in ecology, and their treatment.

2024 10 20 A.png

I have a vague, dusty, indistinct memory of coming across this notation before, perhaps even on this forum, but I'm not sure - it might be a case of déjà vu.

Stuart

10 REPLIES 10
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:StuartBruff)

It is one of the two supported means to index an Array in Prime.

And it is confusing.

And it takes up more space.

And you cannot use this notation to access elements of nested arrays.

LucMeekes_0-1729417377031.png

So I never use it

Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

Yes, I agree, Luc. 

I had a quick play with nested arrays but couldn't find a way of indexing them by extension of this notation.  I was rather hoping I'd be able to do something useful, such as P(1,1,1,1) to get at an element - that would make using nested arrays more straightforward and be the basis for a proper multidimensional array (MDA) system ... I may have mentioned/requested MDAs on the odd occasion.

2024 10 20 B.png

Do you know if this notation is documented as well as supported?

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

AFAIK it's supported, and I hope it's documented. It's been in since Prime 1.

Luc

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Here is another difference - guess you did not try to change the value of ORIGIN.

The functional notation is ignoring the setting of ORIGIN - similar to the third argument (generating function) in the "matrix" function.

Werner_E_0-1729430075419.png

I can confirm that this 'feature' has existed since Prime's inception and I've railed against it a time or two here for a couple of reasons.
However, I haven't come across any official documentation on it, so I couldn't say that it's officially supported by PTC. It's also possible that it just happened unintentionally.
In my opinion, it would have made more sense to eliminate this 'feature'. Just as the undocumented ability to quickly and easily convert ranges to vectors was eliminated in Prime 10, but unfortunately without providing a (more logical and intuitive) alternative.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

Your Werner railings.jpegs are possibly what I might have seen, but forgotten about.  Apologies if so; my memory is as bad now as it was then.   Although I have a very vague recollection of seeing this when I was modifying my multidimensional array worksheets to work with Prime Express.

Whilst PTC are fixing this indexing feature, it would be nice if they'd give some consideration to fixing two particular bug bears I have with the normal indexing notation.

• Cannot use deep nested array indexing on left hand side of a definition, although it works in an assignment.
  • Programmatically and visually, nested indexing, whilst unambiguous, isn't flexible enough to cater for irregularly shaped nested arrays.  The ability to use a single level indexing would make it easier to see the indices and to handle deep arrays. 

2024 10 20 C.png

ISTR that you couldn't use nested indexing in an assignment, either.  Did M15 or early versions of Prime allow it?

Stuart

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Here is what you did converted to Mathcad 15.

Werner_E_1-1729445518139.png

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

Interesting. 

What do you get if you use P0,0,1,1,1 inside your Q program?  I presume it also ignores the extra indices, but given that local assignment works while definition doesn't, that presumption is just guesswork.

Prime telling you it won't have anything to do with more than two indices is better than quietly ignoring them.

Stuart

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@StuartBruff wrote:

Interesting. 

What do you get if you use P0,0,1,1,1 inside your Q program?  I presume it also ignores the extra indices,

Correct. MC15 ignores everything after the first two indices, not even checking if the variable used is defined or would be valid integer.

Werner_E_3-1729451946228.png

Prime telling you it won't have anything to do with more than two indices is better than quietly ignoring them.

Agreed on, yes.

And sometimes I even wished that Mathcad/Prime would throw an error instead of silently applying implicit vectorization.

This is especially true if I modify a function which formerly did not use any calculations valid for vectors in a way that the results now are different whether vectorization is explicitly applied or not and me not realizing that firsthand. That way I learned that its better to apply explicit vectorization every time you want it to be done and don't rely on implicit vectorization. That's also the reason I prefer to put the vectorization when I call a function and not in the function definition itself - just to remind myself whats going on and of course at the cost of uglier display and unnecessary increase in global warming.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Mathcad 11:

LucMeekes_1-1729455166378.png

Errors:

- The expression to the left cannot be defined.

- This array has too many subscripts.

- This array has too many subscripts.

Incidentally, it is possible in Prime to (re-)assign an element of a nested array:

LucMeekes_2-1729455572848.png

LucMeekes_3-1729455584336.png

You can even create new elements:

LucMeekes_4-1729455696501.png

Mind that, like the 'function' notation of indexing, the update1 and update2 functions use ORIGIN=0 irrespective of the value of ORIGIN.

Success!

Luc

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:LucMeekes)

Ah yes, thank you, I had completely forgotten about these undocumented functions. So now it's up to us to decide which way of writing seems more appealing and intuitive and whether we are prepared to use undocumented functions ...

Werner_E_0-1729458971942.png

It seems only to be mandatory that in he program the global variable N is used on the right hand side of any assignment before we can use it in the desired way.
I dimly remember that we had something similar here some time ago, but I have no idea what it was all about. 😞

Werner_E_1-1729459142849.png

Here is a tense one-liner

Werner_E_2-1729459999357.png

and, no, I won't call it appealing and/or intuitive 😉

Announcements

Top Tags