cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

min and max of a function

Andrea4505htown
3-Visitor

min and max of a function

Good afternoon.

I'd like to find the MIN and MAX of a function. Doing MINIMIZE or MINIMIZE I have the error that "the variable is undefined".

Doing the derivate it does not work.

How can I do?

If you want I can attach the code.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, great! But there's more than one function in there.

Assuming you want the extremes of gamma.G1, here goes:

LM_20181003_Extremes.png

LM_20181003_Extremes1.png

Note that I'm just inserting pictures, because I don't have a full Prime. (I'm limited to Express, which means no programs, no symbolics, no means and other silly limitations.)

So you will have to recreate this yourself in Prime 5 (which is a good exercise by the way!).

Success!
Luc

P.S. I noticed that you have a VERY poor display of numeric values set in your sheet. All numbers are displayed with no fractional parts. This can be very confusing. Take care!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

To find the min and max of a function you can use several methods. However the functions Minimize() and Maximize() have a different purpose (I suggest, you look them up in the help).

Assuming you have a mathematical description of the function, the best way is to differentiate that function, find the zero's of the derivative andf check for each of those if it's a minimum or a maximum etc.. You've probably learnt that in school. Note that Mathcad will allow you to differentiate symbolically or numerically.

Another way is to step your running value from start to end of its domain and calculate each corresponding function value and determine whether it's the lowest or highest value you've encountered. By the end you should have the two extremes. This method is less accurate, of course: you might miss a narrow peak or valley.

Since you did not provide a worksheet, no help with your specific function is possible.

Success!
Luc

Attach your file. Can't do mathcad with pictures.

From Mathcad help page

T.Tokoro

Its hard to work with pictures so you sure should attach your worksheet if possible.

One suggestion:

1) below the plot write δv:=δ= (the last evaluation = is important as is turns the range into a vector).

2) Change the "maximize" in the expression below to "max" and the "δ" to "δv"

Did this do the trick?

If not, you may have to vectorize the function call  "P.c_all_max(δv)".
Thats the operation which is shown as an arrow over the expression.

Hi guys.

I'm attaching the Mathcad file.

I'd like to find the MAX and MIN of the function 

Let me know if you can.

Andrea

Please indicate of which function you would like to find the extremes.

(Note: you cannot past a picture, you have to use the 'Photos' icon above the edit window to insert a picture in your post.)

Success!
Luc

Luc. 

I have attached the mathcad file.

Andrea

Yes, great! But there's more than one function in there.

Assuming you want the extremes of gamma.G1, here goes:

LM_20181003_Extremes.png

LM_20181003_Extremes1.png

Note that I'm just inserting pictures, because I don't have a full Prime. (I'm limited to Express, which means no programs, no symbolics, no means and other silly limitations.)

So you will have to recreate this yourself in Prime 5 (which is a good exercise by the way!).

Success!
Luc

P.S. I noticed that you have a VERY poor display of numeric values set in your sheet. All numbers are displayed with no fractional parts. This can be very confusing. Take care!

Many thanks Luc!!

Its easy as your delta already is a vector:

B.png

Top Tags