cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Assembly behaviour

nhanratty
2-Guest

Assembly behaviour

All

Has the way Creo Parametric deals with assemblies changed?

I'm referring to how it handles missing components of assemblies...in the past if a part of an assembly was stored in a folder other than the working directory you had to have a search path set up in your config.pro or a search.pro file to tell ProE where else to look other than the working directory. Now I am wondering if that is still needed?

If you do the exercise on missing components in the intro course on the Precision LMS website and then save the assembly with the 'missing' component still in the other folder...even if you erase not displayed and/or shut Creo down when you next open the assembly it knows where the other part is and the assembly opens properly. But how? There are no search paths and there is no search.pro file in play. This is not how Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire behaved.

Anybody else happen to notice this or can explain what has changed?

Working with Creo 2.0 m120

Regards,

Neal Hanratty
Engineering Systems and Standards Manager
Terex Materials Processing Group

T +44 (0)28 8241 8769
F +44 (0)28 8225 2740
M +44 (0)75 3495 2739
E neal.hanratty@terex.com<">mailto:neal.hanratty@terex.com>

Terex Corporation
Drumquin Road, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland BT78 5PN
www.terex.com
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Terry

Thanks for that...and I just double checked what I had said about shutting Creo down as well.

You are correct, it only applies to that working session. If you restart Creo the assembly does fail again as it forgets where the missing part is stored.

Thanks again for clearing that up.

Regards,

Neal Hanratty
Engineering Systems and Standards Manager
Terex Materials Processing Group

T +44 (0)28 8241 8769
F +44 (0)28 8225 2740
M +44 (0)75 3495 2739
E neal.hanratty@terex.com<">mailto:neal.hanratty@terex.com>

Wow, that's a big deal for me. I frequently use the very simple rules in Creo about where it finds stuff to consolidate work done by various team members into another folder.

How does this "memory" work if, for example, I open part A from user one's folder, part B form user two's folder and then the assy from the main DB folder and then back that up to my user folder for review? If I clear memory and then re-open the assy from the master DB folder, where does Creo find the parts? Does it look from the main DB folder or does it remember that the last time I did this I had them in session from other folders? I guess I have to test it now. Sigh.

Anyone have a link handy to a document detailing this change?

Frankly, I don't want Creo remembering this stuff; the more magic behind the scenes the harder it is for me to manage it. I hate the fact that SW "remembers" where things are and has some 8 or 10 levels of where it will look for things. It makes it very hard to understand where the models are coming from. Creo used to make this easy; it looks like it's becoming harder.

There's no config setting to turn this off?

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags