cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Mold cavity from facet feature, point cloud?

ptc-5165436
1-Newbie

Mold cavity from facet feature, point cloud?

I'd really appreciate some insight into this problem.

I'm trying to model a mold cavity for a kidney that I segmented. I can import the kidney into Creo either as an STL or a point cloud (.pts). I attached both. I tried saving the STL as a .prt file and bringing it into the mold cavity creator, but that didn't work, which was not entirely surprising. I've looked into ways to clean up the STL/solidify it/solidify the point cloud, but I haven't been able to get anything to work. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

After a little more digging and a helpful tip from a lab mate, here's how I got it to work:

1) Use Meshlab (a free mesh editing program) to simplify, smooth, and clean up the STL. Resave.

2) Import the STL into an empty part file in Creo. Save as a shrinkwrap. This creates a solid part defined by the boundary of the mesh.

3) Create mold like usual.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

After a little more digging and a helpful tip from a lab mate, here's how I got it to work:

1) Use Meshlab (a free mesh editing program) to simplify, smooth, and clean up the STL. Resave.

2) Import the STL into an empty part file in Creo. Save as a shrinkwrap. This creates a solid part defined by the boundary of the mesh.

3) Create mold like usual.

I suspected this to be the case. I tried Cadkey to make a solid, but it did not import as a usable model. Creo has very little control over facet models. The shrinkwrap model is probably the best solution available.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: PTC Control Center and Creo+ Portal

Top Tags