cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Tags and Internal Links to Tags

terryhendicott
21-Topaz I

Tags and Internal Links to Tags

Hi,

Can someone upload a worksheet sample on how to use Tags and internal Links

Cheers

Terry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Here's a simple worksheet put together to help my granddaughter's middle school math.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Here's a simple worksheet put together to help my granddaughter's middle school math.

So is it really the intended normal behaviour that when you jump to a tagged region, that region ends up at the bottom of the screen and not at the top?  I  would consider this being quite strange and unintuitive (OK, having to use Ctrl-left click isn't intuitive either, I guess)!

Hi,

Unlike in Microsoft Word and Excel etc the jumped to location does not have focus.  This means you jump to it at the bottom of the page but text or equation needs to then be selected.

Cheers

Terry

The region not having the focus isn't that bad IMHO, but the worksheet should at least be scrolled so that the region is a the top and not at the bottom. This would make much more sense, the sheet of @rgunwaldsen  is a good example to show how bad the current behaviour is. Furthermore a simple left click or double click would be much preferable over the ctrl-click which is currently needed to trigger the jump.And of course a cursor change when you mouse-over a link so you clearly see thats it a link.

Somehow the whole thing looks quite half-baked and unfinished to me. But then - that way it fits perfectly to the rest of Prime with its missing features (compared to real Mathcad), its half-baked chart component or the list boxes with their unit problems and missing scripting.

Hi,

The region not having the focus isn't that bad IMHO,

It is important.  Try this test in the provided file.  Give the focus to any point on the first page, say put the cursor to the left of graphLimits(X,Y).

This is not an uncommon start point at the top with focus at the top.

Capture.JPG

Now go [CTRL] and select "P1 Solving for graphing:" and you jump to the link putting it on the bottom of the page:

Capture2.JPG

Now the next natural thing to do is hit the down arrow to see more of the page to see what "P1 Solve by graphing :" is about, but (and here's the rub) because the focus is back up the top Prime jumps back to the top to the first region below the focus.  This is less than optimum as we have just gone on a long round trip.

Capture3.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Capture3.JPG

You are right!
I agree that the region jumped to should get the focus AND scrolling should position it to the top (if possible).

Hi,

Let's hope someone at PTC is taking notes of this thread.

Cheers

Terry

Please make sure to vote this Idea up: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Ideas/Target-Location-in-Document-for-Internal-Links/idi-p/864061

I'll try to get an answer on why it's implemented like this (and if there are plans to change it).

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
rgunwaldsen
15-Moonstone
(To:Werner_E)

This worksheet was my first attempt to use this new Prime feature and I must confess that I didn't even notice that the linked-to display was at the bottom of the page rather than the top. I agree that the top would be preferable.

I suspect that PTC requires the Ctrl to make editing the link consistent with the behavior of their external links.

Anyway, the implementation seems to get the job done. I believe in their April rollout video statements were made to the effect that this is the first step in a plan to create robust table of contents type stuff. Compare to the Chart component and the problems associated with Combo Box components and lack of scriptable objects.

We'll wait and see...

Roger

Top Tags