cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Thingworx Analytics Installation error ERLANG_HOME

Matt-H
6-Contributor

Thingworx Analytics Installation error ERLANG_HOME

My issue is similar to this thread, however I have followed the documentation I believe: https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/Issues-installing-Analytics-Setup-ERLANG-HOME/m-p/655100

I have Thingworx Foundation installed, now I need to install Analytics.

Analytics installation fails. Specifically, "ERLANG_HOME system environment variable is not set correctly. Set ERLANG_HOME to point to where Erlang software is located, for example, C:\Program Files\erl10.0"

I do have installed Erlang and set the environment variable for the system. The installation of Analytics still fails.

Possibly relevant: I have not yet installed Analytics Server, as I don't think that is required.

To troubleshoot this issue I have done the following:

I have set the environment variable to

C:\Program Files\erl10.0\

C:\Program Files\erl10.0

C:\Program Files\erl10.0\bin\

C:\Program Files\erl10.0\bin

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Erlang. 

I have tried version 21.3 (latest supported version)

I have tried an earlier supported version 20.3 (currently installed).

I have done a few restarts.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Matt-H
6-Contributor
(To:slangley)

Thanks @slangley I logged in today to try again and got in using localhost:8080/Thingworx/Composer/index.html

Though I haven't gotten Platform Analytics installed, I'll close this thread off here because we've resolved the problem of getting Thingworx installed (after uninstalling) has been resolved. When I want to try install Platform Analytics again, I will try and if I have any further issues I will create a new thread. This one has been a beast. Thanks to you and also @nsampat  for your help. Hopefully this thread is helpful to others.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
nsampat
17-Peridot
(To:Matt-H)

Hello @Matt-H ,

Thank you for posting to the PTC Community.

I understand you are having difficulty with deploying ThingWorx Analytics, around the Erlang pre-requisite.

Can you provide more specifics, as Erlang is not required for the Base Application, ThingWorx Analytics Server. Erlang is required for ThingWorx Platform Analytics, which is a separate application.

Are you able to provide the versions of ThingWorx Platform Server, ThingWorx Analytics Server you wish to deploy?

Also, please note, these variables must be set as a System Variable, not a User Variable.

Regards,

Neel

nsampat
17-Peridot
(To:nsampat)

@Matt-H ,

As a followup, I have taken a screenshot of my working ERLANG_HOME for your reference.

Please note the location highlighted in my screenshot:

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Neel

Matt-H
6-Contributor

Hi Neel,

Thanks for your assistance. 

Having restarted my Virtual machine again (this time after a long weekend), I am able to get passed the ERLANG_HOME environment variable error.

The resolution seemed to be:

1. I uninstalled erlang

2. reinstalled the otp_win64_20.3 version of erlang

3. set the system variable once again.

Now I encounter a new error, shown below.

2020-06-02 08_31_42-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

Do I need to install ThingWorx Analytics Server for Windows i.e. ThingWorx-Analytics-Server-Windows-8-5.zip?

I created an appkey in ThingWorx Foundation.

2020-06-02 08_53_35-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

ThingWorx Foundation is running.

Is it possible that I have misread the guides and need to install the ThingWorx Analytics Server and create an appKey there. Is this my mistake?

(I would simply install the server to check this possibility myself, but I encounter the following errors):

Server installation error: 

2020-06-02 08_45_16-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

My version of java:

2020-06-02 08_46_49-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

Location of Java:

2020-06-02 08_45_44-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

Environment variables:

2020-06-02 08_45_31-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

Please note that having set the JAVA_HOME system variable (which wasn't set before -- although the same location was specified in System's PATH variable), I now get another error:

2020-06-02 08_58_50-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

I've tired 127.0.0.1 and localhost.

Thanks

nsampat
17-Peridot

@Matt-H ,

I understand what you are attempting to do now. If you are only installing Platform Analytics, you do not need ThingWorx Analytics to use Platform Analytics.

The error messages displayed is the root cause. "Your JDK Directory could not be verified. Install the appropriate JDK version and launch the installer again."

The JAVA_HOME you have set is not a valid JAVA_HOME variable, as we are specifically looking for the JDK /bin location. You have the JRE deployed, which is not meeting the requirements for Platform Analytics.

Please install JAVA JDK, and point to the appropriate directory. Please note we are looking for the parent directory for \bin\java.exe

e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_211

The path above contains the \bin\java.exe, if you please review my screenshot of my environment variables (when providing ERLANG_HOME example) in my previous post for how I have mine set.

You can find the prerequisites and installation instructions on our HelpCenter here: ThingWorx Analytics Windows Installation - Prerequisites – Windows Installation

Also note, the AppKey needs to be assigned to a user that has the ability created, read, write, and edit Things/Datashapes/Etc. Typically this is Administrator level access. A Restricted user cannot be used.

Details around this can be found here: Prerequisites – Windows Installation > ThingWorx Server

Regards,

Neel

Matt-H
6-Contributor

Hi Neel,

Thanks for your help. I installed JDK and got past my last error. But allow me to backup with my current high-level goal: As per this tutorial, I am trying to access the Analytics manager: https://developer.thingworx.com/en/resources/learning-paths/getting-started-on-thingworx-platform/analytics-builder-quickstart/analytics-builder-settings But I do not see this tab:

2020-06-02 14_15_53-Window.png

This is my view:

2020-06-02 13_51_58-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

This may be irrelevant, but you have confused me. What is the difference between Platform Analytics and ThingWorx Analytics? You say I don't need ThingWorx Analytics to use Platform analytics, but I'm only aware of platform analytics, what is ThingWorx Analytics? Regardless of this sidebar, I will continue trying to install Platform analytics.As per here where it says I need to install Platform analytics to complete my pathway: https://developer.thingworx.com/en/resources/trial/analytics-trial-edition

When the documentation says ThingWorx server is a prerequisite for Platform analytics (e.g. here http://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_analytics_8/index.html#page/analytics%2Fprerequisites_windows.html%23wwID0ENABS), what specifically is being referred to? It could be ThingWorx Foundation, ThingWorx Analytics Server, or Kepware Server. I believe it is the ThingWorx Foundation, please let me know if I am wrong.

My current error is 2020-06-02 14_22_44-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

Using the AppKey here:

2020-06-02 14_23_18-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

I have previously tried with a new user which I set to inherit Admin privileges (but this did not work either).

Thanks

nsampat
17-Peridot

@Matt-H ,

I think you would benefit from reading Knowledge Article around the ThingWorx Analytics Suite of offerings.

It appears that you desire to use both Platform Analytics and ThingWorx Analytics Server, the main Application is ThingWorx Analytics Server.

Analytics Workbench (the item in the sidebar you are referring to - Analytics Builder, Analytics Manager) is part of ThingWorx Analytics Extensions, for use with ThingWorx Analytics Server, and not with ThingWorx Platform Analytics.

The Tutorial you are trying to follow requires both, as far as I can tell in the description.

Also, is SSL in scope, I see port 8443 indicated in your connection info. Is this the correct port for you LocalHost Foundation (Platform) Server. Non-SSL deployments typically use port 8080 or 80 depending on your Tomcat configuration.

Note:

• ThingWorx Foundation (Platform Server) is a pre-requisite for all ThingWorx Analytics Applications
  • ThingWorx Analytics Server - the main application for Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Predictive Analytics
  • Platform Analytics - ancillary offering, distinct and separate from ThingWorx Analytics main application, used for Property Transforms and Descriptive Analytics

Please read the article linked above for more details around the ThingWorx Analytics product offerings.

Regards,

Neel

Matt-H
6-Contributor

Morning (for me) Neel,

Since yesterday, I installed Kepware server for the heck of it. I got that installed and connected without issues. The connection used was 127.0.0.1 and port 8443 and the appkey I set up with Admin user (against best practice).

I have read the documentation you provided. It seems that I want to install the Thingworx Analytics Server (and enable the analytics extension during installation). 

I have tried this morning with various combinations of 127.0.0.1 and local host, and port 8080, 8443, and 80. 8080 gets me the most promising error message:

2020-06-03 08_23_25-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

As the documentation says[1], I need to have Thingworx server installed (as a prerequisite). I still am assuming that this is Thingworx Foundation (which runs a tomcat server). 

Is it possible that this new error message is due to failed previous attempts (as per the first paragraph of this comment https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/Thingworx-Trial-Installation-fails/m-p/578557/highlight/true#M31917)

[1] https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx_hc/thingworx_analytics_8/index.html#page/analytics/analytics_install/thingworx_server_req_2.html#wwID0EU4BS

nsampat
17-Peridot

@Matt-H ,

I have the following three questions:

1. Are you using a Commercial ThingWorx Foundation Server (Platform Server, TWX)?
  2. Are you using a Commercial ThingWorx Analytics Server (TWAS)?
  3. Are you using a Commercial ThingWorx Platform Analytics Server (TWPAS)?

Note, you cannot mix Trial Versions with Commercial versions when it relates to ThingWorx Analytics and ThingWorx Platform. Regarding the Kepware deployment, I cannot comment on that as I do not have much familiarity with that product.

You are correct that is what is being referenced in documentation. Foundation Server and Platform Server are the same application in this context, this is the pre-requisite we discuss that runs on Tomcat. The naming can be confusing, but we are working with three different applications here.

Regarding the error you saw in the linked post, that is in relation to ThingWorx Foundation Server (Platform Server) Trial Edition, and as far as I understand you have not previously attempted to deploy ThingWorx Analytics Server.

The error message I am seeing below states that the installer for TWAS is looking for a Trial License TWX Server. Can you verify that you have matching versions of the product in regards to Trial verse Commercial?

Regards,

Neel

Matt-H
6-Contributor

1. Are you using a Commercial ThingWorx Foundation Server (Platform Server, TWX)? No, a trial.
  2. Are you using a Commercial ThingWorx Analytics Server (TWAS)? Not installed
  3. Are you using a Commercial ThingWorx Platform Analytics Server (TWPAS)? Not installed

"The error message I am seeing below states that the installer for TWAS is looking for a Trial License TWX Server. Can you verify that you have matching versions of the product in regards to Trial verse Commercial?"

I got all my downloads from https://developer.thingworx.com/en/resources/trials#tab-analytics-trial-edition

For your reference these are the folders extracted from the downloads from the above location. (and other files I used on this new virtual machine).

2020-06-04 08_27_58-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

Here's my Foundation Server details

2020-06-04 08_21_21-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

nsampat
17-Peridot

@Matt-H ,

Can you go into Incognito Mode on your browser, and take a screenshot of your full URL when accessing ThingWorx Foundation (Platform Server)?

Can we also verify that you are indeed using a Trial License ThingWorx Foundation (Platform Server) ?

Please do the following: SYSTEM > Subsystems > LicensingSubsystem > GetCurrentLicenseModelType and provide a screenshot of what you see. That will provide the type of license you are using.

When I was asking about the commercial install, it was in regards to the source files being used. If ThingWorx Platform comes back with a Commercial / Enterprise License, you will not be able to use the Trial Edition of ThingWorx Analytics Server.

Regards,

Neel

Matt-H
6-Contributor

@nsampat 

FYI

2020-06-05 08_27_13-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

2020-06-05 08_29_54-ThingWorx - VMware Workstation.png

nsampat
17-Peridot

@Matt-H ,

I'm fairly certain that port 8443 is reserved for SSL, and the Trial Edition of TWA will not work with SSL as its not in scope for the demo software.

Are you able to revert your Foundation Server (Platform Server) to port 80 or 8080?

Regards,

Neel

Matt-H
6-Contributor

tl;dr: Thingworx isn't installing now, see current config for latest failed installation test.

2020-06-09 15_02_20-ThingWorx3 - VMware Workstation.png

Since your last reply, I have tried to change the port for the installation. I have done so by trying to attempt an uninstallation then reinstallation.

I uninstalled, and reinstalled with port 8000. That didn't allow any connection via localhost:8000/Thingworx/Composer/index.html

I uninstalled, reinstalled to try port 8079, installation failed. I tried port 80. install failed.

Since then, I have since been stuck in a loop of:

• Failed installation.
  • Unable to reinstall due to Thingworx already installed.
  • Fail to uninstall due to Thingworx uninstaller doesn't exist.
  • Manually remove all registry entries for Thingworx.
  • Reinstall Thingworx
  • Installation fails.

Another sidebar, as this might help PTC 1) I discovered that the installer tries to create the uninstaller.exe at the end of the installation process. Maybe it should do this first incase of installer fail, leaving redundant files and no uninstaller being created. 2) the uninstaller doesn't seem to work consistently. 3) On a failed installation, I can see the uninstaller.exe in the ThingWorx folder, then after I click Close to exist the installer, there is a scrip that runs in a cmdprompt shell that deletes the uninstaller.exe. I say this because if you are an official rep for PTC, perhaps pass this on, as there is some issues here.

After a few cycles of manual uninstall/reinstall, I was unable to install even after manually removing the registry entries.

So I have created a new fresh Virtual machine, install all the updates, java, erlang, etc, set env variables, etc. And tried again.

Now with a fresh VM, the installation fails, and the loop above continues until the ability to install failed again. 

I'm considering creating a windows 10 server VM (which would be best, I think? Keep in mind we're just testing this software), though, I did have Thingworx installed before on Win 10, so I know I don't need to do this.

At this stage I can't install Thingworx at all. 

nsampat
17-Peridot

@posipova or @slangley can either one of you take a look at this ThingWorx Trial Edition Installation issue that @Matt-H is facing?

The goal is to get a non-SSL Platform Trial Server up, as the ThingWorx Analytics Trial Server is not compatible with SSL deployments.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Matt-H.

I will try to assist with your trial installation of ThingWorx platform.

First of all, from the screenshot you provided, I see that you have JDK 14 installed.  I would recommend removing this as it could be causing some conflicts with the supported version.

Secondly, in regard to the o/s, you should refer to the installation requirements.  You mentioned downgrading to Windows 10, so I not sure which version you are currently running, but it sounds like it is not a supported version.

Please try these things and let us know if you still run into issues.

Note, as an alternative to running the trial versions, you may contact our Sales team for obtaining a license for running the commercial products for a limited time.  This may allow you to install the latest versions of the products without having to change your o/s.  Please validate the System Requirements here

Regards.

--Sharon

Matt-H
6-Contributor

Thank you @nsampat  and @slangley 

I have Thingworx Foundation installed. I uninstalled Java 14 and waited for windows to not be running on 100% memory usage before running the installation. I also completed all windows updates and restarted.

Note, I am using Windows 10, not Windows server, which I have (until soon) been unable to get an installation of. With that said, I have had thingworx foundation running before (and I've completed many tutorials) on this Windows 10 image, so I know it is at least possible to get THingworx foundation set up on Win 10 (whether or not I run into issues later with other components).

I now have this issue:

2020-06-10 10_29_50-ThingWorx3 - VMware Workstation.png

and with the bare url

2020-06-10 10_30_07-ThingWorx3 - VMware Workstation.png

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Matt-H.

You indicated you had to wait for the memory to no longer be pegged at 100% before running the installer.  How much RAM do you have on the VM?  Sounds like it may be too low especially if you are running other apps.  But I'm glad you got ThingWorx installed.

For addressing the next issue, please provide the logs located at ....\ThingworxStorage\logs.  If you're not seeing any logs at this location, please provide the Tomcat logs located at ....\<tomcat_home>\logs.

The logs should provide a clue as to why you're not able to hit the url.

Regards.

--Sharon

Matt-H
6-Contributor

Regarding the memory issue. It is something I've seen before on other machines. It was related to windows updating. It lasted ten minutes or so, but only during windows updating. The ram we have for the VM is 16GB.

logs for both attached. 

CommunicationLog is Thingworx logs, the other is tomcat.

Thank you

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Matt-H.

The logs indicate ThingWorx is running.

Are you possibly trying to connect to ThingWorx on the wrong port?  You can validate the correct port by checking the server.xml file located in <tomcat_home>\conf?

Regards.

--Sharon

Matt-H
6-Contributor

Thanks @slangley I logged in today to try again and got in using localhost:8080/Thingworx/Composer/index.html

Though I haven't gotten Platform Analytics installed, I'll close this thread off here because we've resolved the problem of getting Thingworx installed (after uninstalling) has been resolved. When I want to try install Platform Analytics again, I will try and if I have any further issues I will create a new thread. This one has been a beast. Thanks to you and also @nsampat  for your help. Hopefully this thread is helpful to others.

slangley
23-Emerald II

Hi @Matt-H.

In order to close out this issue, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same issue.

Thank you for your participation in our community!

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags