cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Adding drawing dimensions causes model to update?

ikamster
1-Newbie

Adding drawing dimensions causes model to update?

I have just performed an experiment to find out why I have been losing dimensions on an assembly drawing. I selected a simple drawing, and did a few things to the drawing only, then saved it. Long story short, when adding a dimension to the drawing, and then saving the drawing, the model is updated. (This answered one question I had about when working on drawings, sometimes the model is updated, and sometimes not, even though I haven't done anything to the model.) When I cleared everything out of session and reopened the drawing, the dimension, of course, is still there. Clear everything out of session again, and this time delete the latest version of the model, because I haven't done anything to the model, open the drawing dack up, and the dimension is gone. By referencing the model, am I "revising" it? Why doesn't that dimension come up in purple, instead of just disappearing? This seems like it could become a problem, even though I've never noticed it, or come accross it before.

Has anyone else noticed this, and has it caused any problems as far as part revisions?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

What you have encountered is normal, default behavior.
When you add a dimension to a drawing, the dimension is actually stored in the model, and then shown on the drawing.
This has been the default behavior in Pro/E since the beginning.

You can change this behavior with this config.pro option:

create_drawing_dims_only yes

This option will only affect new dimensions added afterward.
Any already-existing dimensions will not be altered.

Gerry

If you set it to 'yes', this will also limit your ability to reference
other model dimensions and parameters in your created dimensions.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Thanks Doug and Gerry - my config.pro was set to Create_drawing_dims_only: no. I changed that to yes and tried it out on a drawing - only the drawing was saved, not the model.

Thanks!

Top Tags