cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

All Creo parts are in directory but won't open assembly correctly, says missing parts

jeuclide
4-Participant

All Creo parts are in directory but won't open assembly correctly, says missing parts

All Creo parts for an assembly are in the directory but won't open assembly correctly, says missing parts. When opening in Creo View all parts show up. Trying to create a STEP for file for our vendors. Any ideas here?

14 REPLIES 14
Chris3
21-Topaz I
(To:jeuclide)

Are the "missing parts" a newer Creo version? Have you tried opening them individually?

jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:Chris3)

Yes they open individually.

Chris3
21-Topaz I

Are you positive that the filenames of the individual parts are the same as what the assembly is trying to reference? Maybe someone renamed the part and added a _ or something?

Have you tried restarting Creo?

jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:Chris3)

Yes on both accounts....

Chris3
21-Topaz I

Do you have an account with PTC? You may need to submit the files to them so they can take a look and let you know.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

When you try to open the assembly, creo (not creo view) will tell you what parts are missing. I would start with the first one and verfiy you have that file. After a verifications, if the files are in the folder as expected, then you may have other issues.

If there are still files missing,, How did you obtain the creo files? How did they get to the folder you are opening them from?

jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Yes say they are missing, they do exist in the directory and can open them by themselves. Suspected something bad from customer, customer supplied files. In folder from someone adding them from customer.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

How are you trying to open the files? Drag and drop?

I would suggest you first set the working directory to the folder where all the files are (one big folder, no subfolders)

Then use file open.

jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Tried this and still get " Cannot Retrieve Model" on many many parts. Will see if I can get the customer to create the STEP I'm thinking. Thanks everyone!!

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If the customer created the creo files from a different software, creo will likely not open them.

I recall this kind of thing happening when the file names of the parts/assemblies were too long. Can't remember what the file name length limit is, but it definitely doesn't like the sentence-length filenames some people supply.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:KenFarley)

jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

This makes sense, had issues creating the BOM because of this and reformat the BOM file to make it work.

@jeuclide wrote:

All Creo parts for an assembly are in the directory but won't open assembly correctly, says missing parts. When opening in Creo View all parts show up. Trying to create a STEP for file for our vendors. Any ideas here?

Hi,

please show us the list of files in File Explorer and also Creo Model Tree.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags