cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Alternative Helical Sweep

AntonG
4-Participant

Alternative Helical Sweep

Hi,

Is there a way in Creo to make a feature the same way as NPTF threads are made in the attached picture?

The tool is not an ordinary threading tool with helical grooves, the spiral is instead produced by simultaneously rotating (blue) and feeding (red) the tool in the hole which is bigger than the tool. Is there a feature in Creo?
I would like to make an accurate representation of a fully modeled thread for FEM analysis and “Helical Sweep” feature is not how the thread is produced. In Helical Sweep feature, the axis of the tool and the axis of the hole are the same.

Can this be done in Creo?

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:AntonG)

Fundamentally no.  You would have to model the tool separately from the feature it needs to produce.  Other CAD packages offer things called 'volume sweep' or 'solid body sweep' that could potentially do this but Creo does not.

AntonG
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Will look into it!

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I agree that you can't mimic this manufacturing method in Creo. But if you can create the threaded geometry using other methods, your analysis would still be accurate since, by definition, NPTF threads would have to be equivalent in shape.

You can add your vote to the product idea for "solid body sweep" here 

AntonG
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Thanks for the respond. Will try that. Thanks.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

As stated above you cannot mimic the METHOD of manufacture, but you CAN create the resultant geometry with the sweep (cut) feature.  This should be good enough.  Why would you want to do a FEA on the threads?  Is it for such high pressure you're concerned about the threads pulling out?  I can't see using NPTF threads as a "fastener".

BG_9869104
12-Amethyst

Volume Helical Sweep exists depending on the version of Creo you have. Which sounds like what you want to do.

Here is a video that covers the basics.

https://youtu.be/3VrFrYCr5gc

Top Tags