cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

COPY DRAWING AND PART WITH FLAT PATTERN INSTANCES

MB_11089634
3-Visitor

COPY DRAWING AND PART WITH FLAT PATTERN INSTANCES

Hello. 

I am using Creo parametric 7.0.12 and Windchill,

I am trying to make a copy of a drawing + part - keeping their association so I can re-name them as a new part number and make changes. However, the part I am trying to copy is an earlier version of the component in Windchill. so this is a level of complexity. 

Our structure is

abc.prt

abcs.prt (this is the sheetmetal instance)

abc.drw

I want to rename them all to be 

dfg.prt

dfgs.prt 

dfg.drw

I have added to my workspace all the versions I would like to copy - both of the part and the drawing. But when I try to save as, I get an error!. It appears that the sheetmetal instance that I have  is preventing the save.  I get the same error message described in this link - but the solution does not work. >> https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS74897 << I have tried to delete the instance, but the option on the family table is greyed out - so I am not able to do that either!

So, I tried to do the save as via Windchill - When I click the save as, I get a table with a description of the version is bein used, but there is no DROP drown to allow me to chose an earlier one? So I am locked in only being able to do this with the latest version - which is not what I am trying to do. 

So, when I add to my workspace the files of the versions I want - I am able to open the drawing exactly how it needs to be. But it turns out that I cannot do a save as from workspace? And since it does not appear to be a method to replace the reference, I cannot even just do the save as of the latest revision, and them replace the part for another part.

In summary, my question is: How can I make a save as to rename a drawings, when trying to copy of a drw - which references a abc.prt and an instance abcs.prt of that part, while using earlier versions of these components?

From what I have seen in this community, I am yet another one who is extremely frustrated at CREO - having being a draughtsman and mechanical designer for my whole career (12+ years), I have worked with Siemens NX, SolidWorks, Inventor, Onshape and even REVIT(which is not parametric modelling). But the shift to CREO has been the MOST painful - you think there will be a simple way forward, but there just isn't. I have now battled for 3 hours trying to figure a simple SAVE AS but to NO AVAIL. I feel defeated. 

Since I have no choice, I have to get better at this! (the boss will not change software packages - I have asked!) Would like anyone's help on this matter please. Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you. 

What I ended up being able to do (because I needed to save us the previous version of the file) was to open that version only, then click the collect associations buttom and somehow that linked to the right drawings (and instance). 

The instance in this case was a separate file, but that seemed to work. 

Thank you both for the support. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MB_11089634)

In Windchill, select all 3 files and then do a file save-as. 

Unfortunately this did not work - I was being locked out by the flat pattern instance. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MB_11089634)

Is your flat pattern in a separate file (abcs.prt) or just an instance of abc.prt?

If an instance, then you only have the 2 files to rename.

What you can try is to do the rename in Creo, but first rename the instance in the family table. Then rename the part file and finally rename the drawing. Have the drawing and part open in Creo when you start the renaming. This should preserver the associativity of the part to the drawing. Save to your workspace and then do the check-in to Windchill commonspace.

Thank you. 

What I ended up being able to do (because I needed to save us the previous version of the file) was to open that version only, then click the collect associations buttom and somehow that linked to the right drawings (and instance). 

The instance in this case was a separate file, but that seemed to work. 

Thank you both for the support. 

Top Tags