cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

CREO General Enhancements - Consolidated

jforsyth
12-Amethyst

CREO General Enhancements - Consolidated

Being new to CREO and this community I have searched for solutions to issues we are having.  I have found it confusing trying to find solutions with so many posts for the same issue.  I have submitted 2 other posts that describe all of the issues we are having.  It wass suggested that I break these long posts into smaller ones.

My original posts are here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Ideas/Some-CREO-Drawing-Enhancements/idc-p/485687#M9775

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Ideas/Some-CREO-Enhancements/idc-p/485686#M9774

I am not even sure if this is the location for CREO enhancemments or iif the PTC folks even read these.

I apologize in advance for any duplication.

Pleae add to this if I have imissed anything.

General

Printing

Issue

Currently CREO uses 8 plotting pens to print a Drawing.  This seems archaic.  It is difficult to define a plotter pen associated to a specific element type.  After you create the views and use the Component Display options to show the different parts in an assembly as different colors, line style, transparent or opaque, the drawing views look pretty good.  However when we print using the CREO 8 plotting pen software, the PDF or the hard copy from a printer does not reflect the display in the drawing in CREO.  It would be nice after we go to the trouble to have our drawing views displayed the way we want to have the CREO printing software print what we see in the drawing (WYSIWYG)

Enhancement Solution

Have the CREO printing software print the drawings like they are displayed in the drawing in CREO (WYSIWYG).

File names

Issue

Currently CREO limits the name of a file to 31 or 32 characters without spaces.  This seems to be a UNIX legacy requirement.  We try to create Standard Equipment installation assemblies so all of our designers are using the same parts and installation configuration no matter what program they are working on.  We try to name these Standard Equipment installation assemblies in a common method so the designers can search for a key word and can see all of these Standard Equipment installation assemblies and they can tell what program they apply to according to the name.  These Standard Equipment installation assemblies will never be listed on the BOM, but the parts inside these assemblies will.  The character limit makes this a challenge.

Enhancement Solution

Remove the 31 or 32 character limit for file names so we can add descriptors in the name.

Hidden Parameters

Issue

As I search through the documentation and the PTC Community site looking for help, I see a lot of solutions that say “this is a hidden parameter”.  Where can we get a list of hidden parameters?

Enhancement Solution

Publish a list of all parameters in CREO, including any hidden parameters.

Documentation and Training

Issue

As I search through the documentation and the PTC .com site for help I find myself lost in a maze of links.  It may be a result of my ignorance, but whenever I search for a keyword in the online help I get a resulting list that is massive.  When I select on one that I think has my answer, it typically gives a generic explanation of a certain function or command with little explanation.  It typically says to enter a value but no explanation as to what the value means or what is the impact. 

When I go to the PTC.com/E Support section, I will look for a keyword and get several thousand results.  When I select on that I think is my answer the information is rather lacking.  Or it will list 10 other documents at the bottom that I can select.  Selecting one of those links at the bottom opens another document and the process continues.

I have watched sever hundred videos on YOU TUBE and the ELearning from PTC.  Again these videos, while they will show you steps to be successful, they are lacking in the reasons behind the process.  What does this value do?  Why am I selecting this face or surface? 

Enhancement Solution

I know it is a lot of work and this is not the low hanging fruit, but it would be nice if the documentation, E-Support and training videos would:

• Have more of an explanation of the steps.
  • Describe what each areas of a function or command window means.
  • Make looking for help by searching for keywords easier.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags