cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Calculation Volume of a Vial

CarraM29
6-Contributor

Calculation Volume of a Vial

Hi, was wondering if someone had any advice on the attached drawing I've been given to calculate the volume.

The question we've been given is:

1. b) Calculate volume of the liquid in mL for initial vial design. Use suitable dimensional parameters and Creo relations to calculate volume. Describe the scenario to calculate volume.

Calculating volume is fine and I know how to put the formula in for this but would you calculate the body first (10 diameter x 36.83 then the neck 5 diameter x 6.25 height and add together?) 

And would you agree the outside thickness is 1.25?

Any advice would be appreciated as our lecturer takes days to get back with a response!

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

you can create closed surface quilts inside the bottle -  one in the neck and second in the body. Then you can calculate the volume of these quilts using Mass Properties command.

Martin Hanák
CarraM29
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHanak)

Sorry I should have said, it's a parameter and relations exercise so we've to calculate creating formulas and switching dimension etc.  

HumzaS
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi

I have a similar problem. I have to calculate one of the dimensions (Inside height for main body) for the Vial and the volume is given. I am able to calculate the height no problem using the realtions tool by setting up two equations 

but, I am struggling to use the family table to find the height for other vials. So far it seems the total volume is being set as a parameter, which therefore it gives me the same value for all other vials.

Is there a way to correct this so that setting up the realtions will let me use the family table correctly.So to find the dimension(Inside height for main body) I would only have to create one inital vial rather than twenty vials.

Any help would be much appreciated please !

The outside thickness is 1.00 -- the O_THICK annotation is what's produced by default when you create a shell feature.

I would agree with Martin that the 'correct' way to do this would be to use mass properties features in some way. It looks like your instructor has created the part by revolving a solid of the internal void of the bottle, and then using a shell feature to add thickness to the outside of that solid (except the top opening face) and convert the previous solid into a void. The lip is then revolved afterwards.

For doing it with parameters you can set your volume parameter to have 'Unit Quantity' of Volume and then units of mL. More info on parameters with units is available at https://help.ptc.com/creo_hc/creo30_optm_hc/usascii/index.html#page/optm/options_modeler/fund_seven_sub/About_Units_in_Relations.html 

CarraM29
6-Contributor
(To:jbutler-2)

Thanks for the advice - I managed to get the volume and, as you said, created the main body of the vial using extrude and shell feature the creating a revolve on top which works.

Thanks again!

Top Tags