cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Can a Datum Feature be linked to a Datum Plane?

CADQueen
5-Regular Member

Can a Datum Feature be linked to a Datum Plane?

Per the ASME Y14.5-2009 standard Figure  3-4 (see below) a datum feature can be attached to a midplane. All my attempts only allow a Datum Feature to be linked to a surface. I can add additional references, and include the plane, but ideally, the datum feature would only be linked to a plane. Is it possible to do this in Creo 7.0?

midplane.jpg

2 REPLIES 2

I'm using Creo 4.0, but it may help assuming they haven't changed much regarding drawings. If you can't attach a datum tag directly to the witness line of the describing dimension, you may have to do an extra step.

1. Attach a datum tag to the dimension by selecting the dimension text.

2. Long-right-click and change the reference.

3. Select a witness line of the dimension.

That should do it. When you select a witness line, it defaults to the end of it to signify the midplane, but if you really mean just one side of it, you can click-and-drag it so that it's offset the dimension arrows, but still on the line.

CADQueen
5-Regular Member
(To:csheridan-bebea)

I should have been more specific. I am trying to capture this in a MBD to send to metrology.  I was able to attach a datum feature to a surface and then add the datum plane as a reference but upon export to STEP or being read in through another software using Creo APIs the information is lost.

Top Tags