cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Details and uses of all templates.

manishdasariya
5-Regular Member

Details and uses of all templates.

What are differences in different templates?

Is it prescribed to use specific template for some task? if yes how?

does template specific information get embedded in files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Short answers ...

Templates are customised to suit your own needs.

There are quite a few to consider ...

Template part models - Often containing a csys, default planes, maybe axes, points or other non-solid geometry. Often containing some number of pre-defined parameters.

Template assembly models - Again containing datum features (geometry), maybe a pre-defined skeleton part.

Template drawing sheets - different sizes with pre-defined formats.

Various configuration files - For setting-up the Creo working environment, units of measure, location of files (resources), etc.

You can go much further, you can build very complex assembly models containing hundreds, or thousands of parts, and use these as templates. It is a common practice among manufacturer's of large complex industrial machinery to use large assembly models as templates.

And yes, specific information included in the template gets embedded in the files. Additional data may be added or existing data changed in the course of your design progressing. This will all be stored.

Creo has many very powerful features and takes a lot of effort to master, if it can ever be mastered!

My advice is to get a good understanding of the fundamentals and keep on building from there.

This is a good place to get help with your questions.

If you do some research before asking, you'll be much more likely to get the best answers.

Good Luck 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Short answers ...

Templates are customised to suit your own needs.

There are quite a few to consider ...

Template part models - Often containing a csys, default planes, maybe axes, points or other non-solid geometry. Often containing some number of pre-defined parameters.

Template assembly models - Again containing datum features (geometry), maybe a pre-defined skeleton part.

Template drawing sheets - different sizes with pre-defined formats.

Various configuration files - For setting-up the Creo working environment, units of measure, location of files (resources), etc.

You can go much further, you can build very complex assembly models containing hundreds, or thousands of parts, and use these as templates. It is a common practice among manufacturer's of large complex industrial machinery to use large assembly models as templates.

And yes, specific information included in the template gets embedded in the files. Additional data may be added or existing data changed in the course of your design progressing. This will all be stored.

Creo has many very powerful features and takes a lot of effort to master, if it can ever be mastered!

My advice is to get a good understanding of the fundamentals and keep on building from there.

This is a good place to get help with your questions.

If you do some research before asking, you'll be much more likely to get the best answers.

Good Luck 🙂

manishdasariya
5-Regular Member
(To:jhaston-3)

Thanks for your reply.

To use proper template at proper place, does PTC provides some guidelines or it entirely depends on organisation using it? If yes where from can I get its information? I tried to get that on Google but didn't get any rules for their use.

Thanks again.

It's entirely your call when it comes to developing and implementing templates.

If you can create a part model you can save it with any name and use it as a template.

If you can create an assembly model you can save it with any name and use it as a template.

In your config.pro file add the paths to point to your templates.

Done!

manishdasariya
5-Regular Member

Thank you sir for your help in using templates.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You need to go into Tools and mark the file as a template, too.

That way the software knows how to utilize the information in the file for your actual files.

Of course, thanks @BenLoosli , that had slipped my mind.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I scratched my head for a few days when I forgot that. ☺

Top Tags