cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

How to model wire basket

jyochum
3-Visitor

How to model wire basket

Anyone have any idea how to model something like this where the wires overlap and then can be flattened when finished?Capture.JPG

9 REPLIES 9

Five easy steps ...

1. Get lots of wire and wrap it round your head.

2. Take it off your head.

3. Smooth out any external corners.

4. Place on table.

5. Bash it with a frying pan.

Haha, pretty much what I was thinking.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:jhaston-3)

...I'd actually recommend leaving the basket on his head while bashing it with a frying pan, but maybe that's just me....  LOL  🙂

Actually, that would be a fun project, but very difficult and time-consuming.....for what?  Just to do it?  I mean, that's reason enough, but while I'd like to play with that, don't have time now....

Best of luck!  (..although, you may very well end up bashing your head with a frying pan in frustration before you're done!  🙂  )

dscho009
4-Participant
(To:Patriot_1776)

You could technically accomplish this using the Cabling module, but it would be like digging a Castle trench with a spoon.  And when you flatten it, I have no idea how it would end up, probably something that wouldn't flatten how you'd imagine.

At the most, you would at least be able to determine how many feet of wire it took.

This would be a long, manual, tedious project though.

I wouldn't wish doing this with Creo on my worst enemy.

Maybe look at more artsy 3d programs like Blender.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dscho009)

But would the cabling module prevent multiple trajectories sharing volume?  THAT, would be the hardest part....

I'd wish this one.....all the SW lovers/creo bashers out there!  LOL

dscho009
4-Participant
(To:Patriot_1776)

Yes the cabling module does not care if you run the cable through itself.  A lot of times when I violate the bend radius, the cable ends up routing in a loop and goes through itself.

The best way to do this is to create an interface part(usually just a cylinder for something to grab the axis of) to give you the points to make this mesh.  You would probably need to locate 20+ interface parts to allow you to grab the points.

jyochum
3-Visitor
(To:jyochum)

If it helps any, the wires don't need to be that dense.  Just need ideas on how to wind a continuous piece of "spaghetti" wire around some type of form.

Dare I say it?

Creo Parametric is the wrong software for this kind of application.

It's a hard-core engineering tool-set.

dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:jyochum)

Remember the toy Spirograph?

Search for the mathematical formulas used for the "spirograph" type figures (Hypocycloids, Epicycloids, Cycloids, etc.).  You should be able to use those formulas to create some interesting curves.  They won't be random of course, but better than nothing.

Regards,

Dan N.

Top Tags