cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Issue starting CREO. Error: "Please choose another startup directroy for trail creation"

AS_9919932
3-Visitor

Issue starting CREO. Error: "Please choose another startup directroy for trail creation"

Hello Everyone,

I am facing an issue with the CREO parametric startup. I installed CREO in C: drive. And by default, the parametric.exe is located in the BIN folder. But firstly I do have write access in this location. And I do not understand why CREO is having this issue. 

Other than that if I try changing it to another location where I have "write access", It does not accept any location in C: .

If I choose another location (let's say the same location as my working directory), it throws an error with AFX and IFX failed to load. And closes creo. I understand it should not work in theory because my working directory doesn't have parametric.psf file.

creo.PNG

I have a student licence. I was using creo before this and recently I faced this issue.

How can I start using creo again and resolve this issue? Can anyone please help me with this?

Regards

Ayush

3 REPLIES 3

Windows usually doesn't let regular user to write to Program Files directory and its subdirectories; it looks like you're trying to start Creo directly by running parametric.exe from \bin directory and Creo tries to create a trail file in the directory but has insufficient write permissions.

You can try running parametric.exe as an administrator (with elevated permissions) but I wouldn't advise it. Better way is to create a shortcut to run Creo (just put it on your desktop) and define startup directory using "Start in" field in shortcut properties. Try setting "Start in" to a folder inside your documents (e.g. C:\Users\[your_username\Documents\Creo) and see if that will help.

Thanks for responding @LukaszMazur.

I understand that windows wouldn't allow writing in program folders. Thinking the same thing, I tried running with Administrator access too. This time, it didn't throw an error to choose a startup directory for trail creation. But still, it throws an error with AFX and IFX failed to load. And closes creo.

I am not starting Creo directly by running parametric.exe from the \bin directory. I have a shortcut on my desktop, which is targeted to parametric.exe in the \bin directory. And by default, the start in location is also directed to \bin directory. As you said, I tried changing it to a separate folder specifically for Creo. But again, it throws an error with AFX and IFX failed to load. And closes creo.

I did get a solution though and for now, it seems to be working. I started the "reconfigure" application in the \bin directory. It reinitiated the licence file and reconfigured it. And luckily, now it did not throw an error and ran normally. I don't understand it though.

Regards

Ayush

If you did a search for something like "creo student license afx ifx" you would get lots of results, one of which seems to describe your troubles:

Previous Creo 7 IFX AFX woes 

Top Tags