cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mass of a simplified representation of a part?

BrianBoman
14-Alexandrite

Mass of a simplified representation of a part?

I found a nearly 4 year old post saying this was not possible. I am asking again because I have read about updates to simplified reps in more recent revisions.

Does anyone know if Creo 4 and Creo 5 includes the ability to update the mass of a part relative to an active simplified rep? 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:BrianBoman)

Just tested in Creo 4 and Creo 5 with the option force_upd_assem_mp_in_simp_rep set to yes and it didn't work for a part.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

as far as I know it's impossible, but maybe I'm wrong

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Just tested in Creo 4 and Creo 5 with the option force_upd_assem_mp_in_simp_rep set to yes and it didn't work for a part.

BrianBoman
14-Alexandrite

Bummer. Thanks for trying. 

I just tested in Creo 7 (with the option force_upd_assem_mp_in_simp_rep set to yes) and it didn't work for a part or assembly.

Still a bummer.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jbush)

I tested with Creo 4. I added the option and saved the config.pro. I closed Creo and reopened a new session.

When I opened the assembly as a simplified rep, the weight was updated to only be the part(s) included in the assembly.

I believe this option works as intended.

This option says it is only for Assembly reps, so I didn't test part representations.

jbush
11-Garnet
(To:StephenW)

Yes agreed, thanks for clarification. I tested different *part* representations with Creo 7 in both the standalone part and with the part in an assembly. In both cases the mass always reflects the master part representation. Bummer still no option to update mass properties based on part representations.

BrianBoman
14-Alexandrite
(To:jbush)

I feel like this would be a great alternative to heavy assembly cuts. If I could use the default rep to hide a hole pattern that is match drilled in a higher level assy to make a drawing with the correct weight then install the same part into the higher level assy using the master rep it would save a lot of the pain that is related to using assy cuts even when the advanced options are selected. 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I completely understand your reasoning, but it is worth noting that PTC intended simplified reps (assy and part) to be used for large assy management purposes. 

In this scenario, mass needs to be consistent with the master rep.

Using simplified reps for other purposes can lead to workplace madness!!!  Sorry, meant to be a joke. I've done it and have driven co-workers crazy trying to understand what I was trying to accomplish!

BrianBoman
14-Alexandrite
(To:StephenW)

I just ran into an improper use case that drove me mad yesterday so I get that for sure. Not related to simp reps but still relatable. 

That said, I hear you on using simp reps to defeature parts where the mass needs to come from the master rep. However, I feel like you could over come that and remove the need for assy cuts by adding a drop down under "alternate mass properties" that is "simp rep" to indicate you want the mass to be derived from the simp rep you have activated for said part. 

BrianBoman_0-1643398127320.png

Top Tags