cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Parameters on Drawings

Amanda_Conger
4-Participant

Parameters on Drawings

I currently have a drawing template set up to use multiple drawing parameters (for example, item description, file name, revision, etc). When I create a new drawing using this template, before letting me view the drawing, it pops up a dialogue box for each use of the parameter. So, for example, it the revision parameter is used twice on the drawing template, there will be two different dialogue boxes which pop up which each ask you to input the revisions. 

I would much rather either input the value into one dialogue box (again, it's the SAME parameter) or be able to open the drawing and then fill in all my parameter values at once (through the parameter option under tools? unless there is a better location?)

Is there a way to change this?

4 REPLIES 4

The way we handle this, and I'm guessing the majority of people who use parameters do, is to have the parameters defined in the models being used in the drawing. We have parameters for the designer, date of design, etc. that are used to fill the fields when the model is used in a drawing. I haven't had to answer a "drawing field survey" when starting a new drawing in years. The same philosophy is used to provide parameters that will be used in a bill of materials on assembly drawings.

The way to ensure things work smoothly is to use part and assembly templates to start new parts that already contain all of the parameters. Then you just fill them in when you create a new part or assembly and you're ready to go when it comes time to do the drawings.

Thanks for the response! I'm not sure if I am allowed to edit our part/assembly templates but I will look into it and see. 

If they don't let you change the templates (or they won't change them for you) there is an alternative.

We have a good deal of older (some 20+ years) parts that don't have the parameters. Their drawings are so old they don't even have our current company name on them. To handle this I have a keyboard macro that creates the parameters in a part or assembly. I open the offending file, hit (for me) F5, and all the parameters I need for the drawings are created. Saves a lot of time and prevents me from making typos on the created parameter names.

or be able to open the drawing and then fill in all my parameter values at once

If you give the a default value(like a space), you should be able to edit them later on the parameters tab.

Top Tags