cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Revision block update

wakeboarding77
6-Contributor

Revision block update

Is there a way to have row added to a rev block automatically in a drawing?  When I revise a part, in the drawing I have to manually add a row and type in rev #, description of rev, initials of person making changes and the date.  Once I do that, I then have to go back and change the format of the cells to match previous rows.  I know I will have to enter the change description but would be nice if there was a way to add those other bits automatically.  Any ideas?  It wouldn't be so bad if the text format would just stay the same.

7 REPLIES 7

The rev block is a company specific addition. In my past, I have seen some imaginative ways of handling rev block but they were custom developed by the company.

I agree formatting the text is a pain point on tables in Creo. Once I add a row, I always copy/paste from another cell to "get" it's format. That at least eliminates the tedious formatting(which could be accomplished via mapkey also)

There is no 'standard' for the formatting of a revision block, so any hopes of it being automated beyond a repeat region table are useless.

IF you are into programming, you could possibly do something with toolkit to grab some parameters and prompt for the description.

When I used Unigraphics, we had a full drawing format program written in UG's GRiP code that would do what you wanted. It would even check the length of the strings entered to be sure they fit in the space we had allocated for descriptions. The ability to use a simple Basic like language for customizing and automating our CAD program was one of the biggest losses when we switched to Pro/E. It takes a lot more programming skills to write code in C than Basic!

How would you go about making this a repeat region?

Repeat regions are just a fancy table, We use them for BOM's.

You would have to put all of your revision data into parameters to drive the repeat region.

Try the copy/paste of a cell (not the text within the cell) to retain the formatting. It will reduce the redundancy of the task significantly

I feel like I have tried that before with no luck.  But I will give it a go again.

On a side note,  how about those Red Raiders!?!?!  making it to the final four.  Congrats!

So my process is to add a row to the revision table, copy/paste each cell (not the text, just a single click on a cell) from the previous revision and then edit the text, it should retain the formatting (sometimes i have to fix the vertical justification, not sure why, but I select all the cell and correct that with one edit)

If there is already some data in the table, the copy/paste of the cell won't work but you can use delete contents on one that already has content then the copy/paste works.

*I'm not a big basketball fan but I'm sure watching all the games in the tournament!!

Top Tags